[sci.space] more on Liberty Bell 7

hmueller@CSSUN.TAMU.EDU (Harold E Mueller) (04/01/89)

April issue of "Skin Diver" (p. 122) has a note about the planned recovery
of Liberty Bell 7.  Note says Subsurface Technologies (Subtek), a Fort Worth,
TX organization specializing in underwater artifact recovery, has been
given NASA sanction to recover the capsule.  Subtek has created the Liberty
Bell 7 Recovery Foundation to run the operation.  Capsule will be located with
a Subtek-developed device called EMS-3; no details on it.  Capsule is at
5000 meters, "the deepest manned recovery ever attempted."  Recovery
will be carried live from "a deep diving research submarine with
specially designed underwater television cameras" and a "floating marine
archaeology facility with live television broadcasting capabilities."
Subtek also plans to recover Spanish treasure ships and give artifacts
to museums.  Contacts:  Robert Fuller or Larry Moore, Liberty Bell 7
Foundation, 6618 Azle Avenue, Fort Worth, TX 76135, (817) 237-5490.

Hal Mueller                  hmueller@cssun.tamu.edu
Grad Student, CS Dept.       n270ca@tamunix (Bitnet)
Texas A&M University         (409) 846-5462

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/05/89)

Along the lines, what other nifty spacecraft are lying in the ocean?
There must be dozens of V-2's off the English coast, plus a few launched
in "46 and "47 from Cape Canaveral and the USS Norton Sound.

A few years ago, someone mentioned some Apollo hardware was in the ocean
(I think it was the LEM from Apollo-13).

Could someone post a brief list of the most interesting or historic hardware
at the bottom of the sea (preferably with approximate location and depth)?

bwood@janus.uucp (Blake Philip Wood) (04/05/89)

In article <16680@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>Along the lines, what other nifty spacecraft are lying in the ocean?
>There must be dozens of V-2's off the English coast, plus a few launched
>in "46 and "47 from Cape Canaveral and the USS Norton Sound.

Wouldn't any V-2's have been destroyed upon impact with the water?

                              Blake P. Wood
                              U.C. Berkeley, EECS
                              Plasma Materials Processing Group
                              bwood@janus.berkeley.EDU