[sci.space] Gemini and Rogallo wing

In article <1158@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
>Was there also some synergy here between the concept of "pin-point" landings
>on terra firma, and the strong connection between Gemini and USAF ("Blue Ge-
>mini"/MOL/etc.) ? ...

Well, "synergy" in its exact sense -- two independent-looking things
reinforcing each other -- maybe a bit.  If what you mean is "cause-and-effect
relationship", I *think* the answer is no.  It was just two independent
aspects of the same spacecraft.

In any case, note that the Rogallo Gemini would not have had a long gliding
range, so it wouldn't have gotten a military crew out of hostile territory
in the event of a major guidance foulup.  The main importance of precision
landing was getting rid of the recovery fleet.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (06/08/89)

In article <1989Jun5.235518.23416@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In any case, note that the Rogallo Gemini would not have had a long gliding
>range, so it wouldn't have gotten a military crew out of hostile territory
>in the event of a major guidance foulup.  The main importance of precision
>landing was getting rid of the recovery fleet.
>--

Anyone with access to a National Geograpic collection may want to check out
the photo on page 370, March 1964. This shows an artist's impression of the
proposed Rogallo wing in action with Gemini. My apologies for linking this
project with Apollo in my earlier posting - I was working from memory, and
slipped up.

The wing design shown gets its rigidity from inflatable leading edges,
keel and cross-tubes! Hang Glider pilots who've ever flown a 'Bog Rog'
will also notice it has no keel pocket, which must have made it rather
difficult to steer.

As Henry says, it was expected to glide about 20 miles - not enough to escape
'enemy territory'.

Steve