[sci.space] How Hubble will get there

phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/24/89)

[ Excuse the cross-posting, please. ]

Here's something I found out yesterday.  Currently, the Hubble Space
Telescope is being stored in California.  Everyone knows that it is going
to be launched (some day) on a shuttle from the Cape (Florida east coast).
But apparently, the only safe way to transport it is by boat.  Which means
it will almost certainly have to go thru the Panama canal.........Let's
hope things improve down that way in the next year.    Sigh.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (05/25/89)

In article <3313@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu () writes:
>Here's something I found out yesterday.  Currently, the Hubble Space
>Telescope is being stored in California.  Everyone knows that it is going
>to be launched (some day) on a shuttle from the Cape (Florida east coast).
>But apparently, the only safe way to transport it is by boat.  Which means
>it will almost certainly have to go thru the Panama canal.........Let's
>hope things improve down that way in the next year.    Sigh.

The boat plan has been changed.  It was going to go by the "Greenwave",
a Navy ship.  Now it's going by air (some reject C5, I hear).
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (05/25/89)

In article <3313@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu () writes:
>[ Excuse the cross-posting, please. ]
>
>Here's something I found out yesterday.  Currently, the Hubble Space
>Telescope is being stored in California.  Everyone knows that it is going
>to be launched (some day) on a shuttle from the Cape (Florida east coast).
>But apparently, the only safe way to transport it is by boat.  Which means
>it will almost certainly have to go thru the Panama canal.........Let's
>hope things improve down that way in the next year.    Sigh.

Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
boar, but recently it was determined that the place could carry the
load. The people at STSCI are much happier with it travelling by
plane.

-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA
 Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
 UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

In article <3313@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@rice.edu () writes:
>it will almost certainly have to go thru the Panama canal.........Let's
>hope things improve down that way in the next year.    Sigh.

Fortunately, the situation has changed.  The USAF has refitted a couple
of C-5s to carry large military space payloads, and one of them will be
borrowed to take HST to the Cape.  The possibility of encountering trouble
going via Panama wasn't entirely lost on NASA, although they were thinking
of terrorism rather than unstable governments (officially, at least).  But
until the C-5 refit was well underway, there wasn't an alternative.
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (05/26/89)

From article <1531@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, by gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy):
> Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
> boar, but recently it was determined that the place could carry the load.
  ^^^^
Hmm, going back to using animal power are they? I know we're getting
more green-conscious, but this is going too far. I've heard about
horse-power, but pig-power takes a bit of thinking about.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist that one!  Flames > /dev/null

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) (05/26/89)

In article <3313@kalliope.rice.edu>, phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> [ Excuse the cross-posting, please. ]
>
> Here's something I found out yesterday.  Currently, the Hubble Space
> Telescope is being stored in California.  Everyone knows that it is going
> to be launched (some day) on a shuttle from the Cape (Florida east coast).
> But apparently, the only safe way to transport it is by boat.  Which means
> it will almost certainly have to go thru the Panama canal.........Let's
> hope things improve down that way in the next year.    Sigh.

For the (hopefully) last time, guys -

 HST will arrive in Florida shortly before launch, transport is via modified
C-5A, courtesy U.S. Air Force (wonder why they need a C-5A to transport HST
sized/shaped cargo ;-) )

 yes, HST will occasionally look at the Earth, Moon, Sun (through the
"back-door" for UV Flood on the WFPC). No, the sensors won't burn out.
No, it won't focus that 'close' either (but the defocus/deblurring
algorithms are known :-) ).

'nuff said?
--
    Jim Sims      Space Telescope Science Institute      Baltimore, MD
             UUCP:  {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!stsci!sims

jerry@qvax2.UUCP (Jerry Gardner @ex2561) (05/27/89)

In article <1531@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:

>Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
>boar, but recently it was determined that the place could carry the
 ^^^^

Gee, that must have been one helluva big boar!

Jerry Gardner, NJ6A        Qantel Business Systems
			   {hplabs,pacbell,ihnp4}!qantel!qvax2!jerry

Disclaimer?  We don't need no stinking disclaimers!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (05/27/89)

-by gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy):
-> Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
-> boar, but recently it was determined that the place could carry the load.
-  ^^^^

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) <1027@syma.sussex.ac.uk> :
-
-Hmm, going back to using animal power are they? I know we're getting
-more green-conscious, but this is going too far. I've heard about
-horse-power, but pig-power takes a bit of thinking about.

Virginia hams are justly famous.  And big, too...  If *these* pigs had
wings, they'd be C5A's.  Or maybe Boaring 747's.

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (05/28/89)

In article <1531@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>
gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what a linefull!  :-)
>[. . .]
>Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
>boar, [. . .]
 ^^^^

	Having just a few hours come back from a pig roast, it occurred to me
that such methods of transport are rather risky.  Someone wanting food for a
festival might mistakenly interrupt operations.  8-)

BITNET:  chiaravi@IUBACS.BITNET (IUBACS hoses From: fields; INCLUDE RET ADDR)
Internet-gatewayed BITNET:      chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@vm.cc.purdue.edu
Alt Internet-gatewayed BITNET:  chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (06/01/89)

In article <21276@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
--by gsh7w@astsun5.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy):
--> Actually it will go in a C5A transport plane. It was going to go by
--> boar, but recently it was determined that the place could carry the load.
--  ^^^^
-
-andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) <1027@syma.sussex.ac.uk> :
--
--Hmm, going back to using animal power are they? I know we're getting
--more green-conscious, but this is going too far. I've heard about
--horse-power, but pig-power takes a bit of thinking about.
-
-Virginia hams are justly famous.  And big, too...  If *these* pigs had
-wings, they'd be C5A's.  Or maybe Boaring 747's.

Sounds like a bunch of pork barrel politics to me.... :{)>
--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or

sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) (06/05/89)

And the last unexplained TLA is

 GSE - Ground Support Equipment

(and yes, I promidse to be a good boy and _NOT_ post TLAs without translations
  from now on)

--

iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (06/08/89)

In article <583@stsci.edu> sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) writes:
>(and yes, I promise to be a good boy and _NOT_ post TLAs without translations
>  from now on)

Ok, so - er - what's a TLA please?

Steve

berry@stsci.EDU (Jim Berry) (06/14/89)

From article <502@cybaswan.UUCP>, by iiit-sh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood):
> In article <583@stsci.edu> sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) writes:
>>(and yes, I promise to be a good boy and _NOT_ post TLAs without translations
>>  from now on)
>>

> Ok, so - er - what's a TLA please?

> Steve

Three Letter Acronym.

Jim Berry                         | UUCP:{arizona,decvax,hao}!noao!stsci!berry
Space Telescope Science Institute | ARPA:   berry@stsci.edu
Baltimore, Md. 21218              | SPAM:   SCIVAX::BERRY, KEPLER::BERRY