[sci.space] Kremlin reveals space budget

mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {GPD-LEGO}) (06/09/89)

From the San Franscisco Examiner, Thursday, June 8, 1989.

"More than half goes for military use"

By Charles Mitchell
United Press International

Moscow - The Soviet Union, in its first public disclosure of how
much it spends on the space program, revealed Wednesday that more
than half of its annual $10.7 billion space budget is devoted to military use.

The revelation shattered one of the Kremlin's most effective
international propaganda claims, that the bulk of the program
is devoted to peaceful civilian uses.

Speaking at the first joint session of the Supreme Soviet,
Prime Minister Nikolai Ryzhkov also provided the first breakdown
of the Soviet defense budget of $119.8 billion, first revealed by
President Mikhail Gorbachev on May 30.

Both the military and space budgets had been closely guarded
Soviet secrets, hampering arms-reduction talks.

Ryzhkov said $50.5 billion, or about 42 percent, of the military
budget was used for procurement of arms, ammunition, and equipment.

By comparison, the United States spends about 28.6 percent of its
nearly $300 billion annual military budget on procurement.

The prime minister said research, development and testing accounted
for $23.7 billion; personnel and maintenance of the army and navy,
including food and wages, $31.3 billion; and construction projects,
$7.13 billion. Another $3.6 billion went to military pensions and
$3.6 billion to miscellaneous expenses.

Ryzhkov also said military expenses would be subject to public
scrutiny and would be decided just as civilian expenditures
are - by debate and necessity.

In a startling disclosure, Ryzhkov said $6 billion, or 57 percent
of the space budget, was devoted to military uses, dwarfing the
$2.6 billion it says it spends on "science and economic" uses.

The remainder of the space budget, $2 billion, is devoted to the
trouble-plagued Soviet space shuttle, which made an unmanned
test flight last year before plans to send it into orbit manned
were suspended indefinitly.

By comparison, NASA's budget for 1990 is $13 billion,
excluding Air Force launches.

The Soviet space program has come under increasing pressure from
the press and citizen's groups to justify its expense. Compared
with the U.S. space program, there have been few technical spinoffs
that have benefited the economy.

# mike (sun!mae), M/S 8-04
"The people are the water, the army are the fish" Mao Tse-tung

dls@mtgzz.att.com (d.l.skran) (06/12/89)

My guess is that these figures are low by a factor of 2 or 3 for
propaganda purposes. They are totally unbelievable.

Dale not Amon Skran

dow@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Black hole in space) (06/13/89)

can someone give me a semi close figure on what the cost is for one of the
shuttles?

stramm@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Bernd Stramm) (06/14/89)

In article <5182@mtgzz.att.com> dls@mtgzz.att.com (d.l.skran) writes:

>My guess is that these figures are low by a factor of 2 or 3 for
>propaganda purposes. They are totally unbelievable.
>
>Dale not Amon Skran

Remember that their pricing is kind of artificial --- since they
don't have a market economy, the government basically sets the
prices of what they buy, so prices don't reflect "real" cost.

stramm%cs@ucsd.edu	ARPA (new) 	|	Bernd Stramm
stramm@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu ARPA (old) 	| CSE Department, UC San Diego
bstramm@ucsd		BITNET 		| La Jolla, Ca 92093