[sci.space] ADA and space station

tee@mtuxo.att.com (54317-T.EBERSOLE) (06/27/89)

In article <614884210.amon@H.GP.CS.CMU.EDU>, Dale.Amon@H.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> > I have talked with several people who have studied Ada, and they claim that
> > object oriented programming is one of the major points of emphasis in the
> > design of the language.
>
> I was unaware that ADA had classes, objects and methods. True, I can
> see how to fake many of these with the visibility rules, but I'm not
> sure it's quite the same.

------fascinating verbiage deleted--------

Since the use of Ada in the space station makes this topic marginally
spacey, I thought some of you folks might be interested in a course
being broadcast over satellite by NTU (a sort of electronic university
available to companies and universities by satellite). It is being given
by Peter O'Neill, a manager at Raytheon Company and faculty member with
Norteastern University's State-of-the-Art Program. The course will be
broadcast July 11, 20, 21, and 25, 11am to 5pm Eastern Time.

"Course Description:
Ada is not "just another programming language," but rather was specifically
designed to impact software development across the entire software life
cycle as no language has ever done before. Participants are shown how SW
written in Ada is more understandable and reliable than that written in
other languages, and how SW systems are more modifiable and maintainable
when developed using Ada.

This session begins with an historical perspective on the development of
the Ada language, and is followed by a detailed coverage of all of the
language's features. A description of APSEs (Ada Programming Support
Environments) concludes the seminar. Topics to be covered include

    * History and development
      -The Software Crisis
      -History of Ada's Development
      -Modern Software Engineering Principles
      -Responding to the SW Crisis

    * Ada language overview
      -High-level discussion of Ada language features
      -Short example of each feature

    * Ada in more detail
      -Detailed discussion of Ada language features
       Lexical structure
       Data types I
       Program structure -- packages
       Statements
       Data types II
       Subprograms
       Tasking
       Exception handling
       Program libraries and compilation
       Generic program units
       System-dependent features

    * Ada in use
      -Ada programming support environments

... A strong programming background is assumed."

A discussion of the pros and cons of using Ada for Space Station SW
might be more profitable if carried out in comp.lang.ada. I've added
a "Follow-ups To" line to that effect, but I have no idea if that works.

An interesting note on the history of Ada appeared in comp.lang.ada
last week:

<From: weber@ellington.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Rosa Weber)
<Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
<Subject: Re: Who invented Ada (enquiering minds demand to know)
<Date: 23 Jun 89 22:56:17 GMT
<>    ...    My buddy said that Ada was designed by somone
<>    in Europe. Not beeing an Ada proglammer (I've never coded even
<>    one single line of the stuff, I'm a C hack) I would like to
<>    know the answer to this nagging question "who actually invented
<>    Ada"
<
<     In May 1979 Ada became the official name for the high-order
<     language of the Department of Defense.  At this time the DoD
<     also announced that Honeywell/France was the winning contractor
<     of the design competition.  The principal author of Ada was
<     Jean Ichbiah from France but other members of the design team
      ************************
<     included citizens from the U.S., the U.K., and West Germany.
<
<     Source : "Software Engineering with Ada", by Grady Booch.

One wonders what languages are used for Ariane, Spot, other ESA projects.
Do they have a version of Ada?

--
Tim Ebersole ...!att!mtuxo!tee
                 or {allegra,ulysses,mtune,...}!mtuxo!tee

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/28/89)

In article <4847@mtuxo.att.com> tee@mtuxo.att.com (54317-T.EBERSOLE) writes:
>>Discussion on Ada and European origins and possible uses in space....
>One wonders what languages are used for Ariane, Spot, other ESA projects.
>Do they have a version of Ada?

I don't think the launch vehicle specifically uses computers.  Maybe
ground controlling instruments.  You sort of have to makes these
distinctions.  SPOT was planned years before Ada existed so I suspect
lots of its function is either hardwired or assembly language coded,
it's documented some where in remote sensing literature.  I think you
will see its use increasing, but I think you will also see increased
use in C [because of Unix and workstations], LISP [AI interest],
and several other languages, and oh, yes, a decrease in the use of PL/1 and
HAL/[SG].

If you are going to continue the space aspects follow up to
sci.space, but if you are going into Ada, remove sci.space and use
comp.lang.ada.  If you can't read, please return to school 8).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

jeffs@scr1.UUCP (Jeff Schnell) (06/30/89)

In article <4847@mtuxo.att.com>, tee@mtuxo.att.com (54317-T.EBERSOLE) writes:
> "Course Description:
> Ada is not "just another programming language," but rather was specifically
> designed to impact software development across the entire software life
> cycle as no language has ever done before. Participants are shown how SW
> written in Ada is more understandable and reliable than that written in
> other languages, and how SW systems are more modifiable and maintainable
> when developed using Ada.

< Interesting stuff deleted

   How could I get to see this conference???  Please email me back.
--
Jeffrey J. Schnell   System Support Eng.      | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-4249   Ph: (201) 870-4120       | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117