[sci.space] Apollo 8, 9, and 10

ddavey@grits.ctt.bellcore.com (Doug Davey) (07/19/89)

In article <1989Jul19.005449.3163@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> orbit, Apollo 10 flew a dress rehearsal of the landing (including LM
> descent to 10 miles above the Moon), and Apollo 11 was the big one.

The line that sticks in my mind from Apollo 10 was:

	"We're really down among 'em!"

It must have been quite a sight to be in orbit, but be only 10 miles
above the surface.

Does anybody remember whether the ascent or descent engine was used
during Apollo 10's return from low orbit to rendezvous with the CSM?
Either option seems difficult.  On the one hand, I would not expect
the descent engine to be restartable.  On the other, firing the
ascent engine and getting the ascent stage cleanly separated from the
descent stage would be tricky since the descent stage was deigned to
be firmly on the lunar surface during this operation.

                                  |     ___  ___         ___ ___  __   ___
Doug Davey                        |    /__/ /__ /   /   /   /  / /__) /__
bellcore!rruxi!ddavey             |   /__/ /__ /__ /__ /__ /__/ /  \ /__

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (07/19/89)

In article <17231@bellcore.bellcore.com>, ddavey@grits.ctt.bellcore.com (Doug Davey) writes:
> Does anybody remember whether the ascent or descent engine was used
> during Apollo 10's return from low orbit to rendezvous with the CSM?
> Either option seems difficult.  On the one hand, I would not expect
> the descent engine to be restartable.  On the other, firing the
> ascent engine and getting the ascent stage cleanly separated from the
> descent stage would be tricky since the descent stage was deigned to
> be firmly on the lunar surface during this operation.

The LM used nitrogen tetraoxide and hydrazine (was it UDMH or some other
chemical variant???) as oxidizer and propellant.  These are hypergolic
propellants, which means that you don't need an igniter--the chemicals
hate each other so much that they ignite on contact (paraphrased from
"Chariots for Apollo").  So, if you can control the fuel and oxidizer
valves (simple, since the engines had to have thrust control, so valves
were there), you can re-start the engine repeatedly, until you run out
of fuel.

My memory indicates that the descent stage was cut free, and the ascent
stage was used for the rendezvouz.  Again, the book "Chariots for Apollo"
gives some very human-oriented insight into this process.  Some of the
engineers at Grumman who were responsible for the separation never did
watch or listen to a take-off from the moon.  There were many pyrotechnic
charges for the separation, each of which powered a guilliotine to sever
electrical, water, air, etc, lines between the ascent and descent stages.
Failure of one of the guilliotines would have been catastrophic.  If you
haven't read this book, find it.  It is very good, IMHO.

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah
alternate:   kluksdah@enuxc1.eas.asu.edu

standard disclaimer implied

boley@ingr.com (Kirk Boley) (07/20/89)

In article <1989Jul19.005449.3163@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> There was some discussion about whether Apollo 10 was really needed; why
> get to within 10 miles of the lunar surface and then go home?  But a lot
> of people felt that an all-up test, including a real lunar-orbit rendezvous,
> was a good idea before landing.  What finally settled the matter was that
> Apollo 10's LM was overweight and could not have flown a complete landing
> mission.
> --
> $10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> (Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu
	I always wondered about that, after reading about the descent.
(I was too young to remember much about the space program, even though
my dad was working on the Saturn V Instrument Unit for IBM.)
I remember thinking, "Hey if it was me, I'd made up some sort of
excuse for going ahead and landing!" I mean really, it's like Christopher
Columbus coming to within 30 feet of the American shoreline and saying,
"Nah, this is too dangerous, let's go back." It's nice to know the real
reason after all these years. Thanks, Henry.

Standard disclaimer.  |   Kirk Boley, Intergraph Huntsville, UAH
Witty .sig message.   |   61 hours to go and counting...  ...!uucp!ingr!boley

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/20/89)

In article <17231@bellcore.bellcore.com> ddavey@grits.UUCP (Doug Davey) writes:
}Does anybody remember whether the ascent or descent engine was used
}during Apollo 10's return from low orbit to rendezvous with the CSM?
}Either option seems difficult.  On the one hand, I would not expect
}the descent engine to be restartable.  On the other, firing the
}ascent engine and getting the ascent stage cleanly separated from the
}descent stage would be tricky since the descent stage was deigned to
}be firmly on the lunar surface during this operation.

As I recall, one contingency plan was in fact such a separation while not
on the surface, in case they ran out of fuel trying to land.  They would
then separate immediately and use the ascent stage to abort back to the
CSM.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (07/20/89)

In article <4481acbf.b097@shadow.engin.umich.edu> tyg@caen.engin.umich.edu (Tom Galloway) writes:
>In article <1989Jul19.005449.3163@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
<> There was some discussion about whether Apollo 10 was really needed; why
<> get to within 10 miles of the lunar surface and then go home?  But a lot
<> of people felt that an all-up test, including a real lunar-orbit rendezvous,
<> was a good idea before landing.  What finally settled the matter was that
<> Apollo 10's LM was overweight and could not have flown a complete landing
<> mission.
<
<The last was probably a good thing. I remember as a kid thinking that if I was
<on 10's flight, I would have gotten some printouts before leaving of what
<information would be needed to land and revendevous later, and gone ahead and
<landed. So what if I would've been court-martialed....Just imagine what the
<temptation would have been like if a landing and return had been possible.
<
>tyg   tyg@caen.engin.umich.edu

Problem is, what would you have done once you reached the surface? Apollo
10 carried no proper EVA equipment, no scientific packages. All the crew
could have done was to land, lookaround and leave (assuming they could
have taken off).

They probably had some emergency portable oxygen system in the case they
had to perform an EVA in order to get back to the CM due to a docking
malfunction.

As I remember, Tom Stafford was himself asked if Apollo 10 should have
been the landing, and he said no, the LM needed further testing.

          *** mike (still looking for a publisher) smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (07/20/89)

In article <17231@bellcore.bellcore.com> ddavey@grits.UUCP (Doug Davey) writes:
>In article <1989Jul19.005449.3163@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> orbit, Apollo 10 flew a dress rehearsal of the landing (including LM
>> descent to 10 miles above the Moon), and Apollo 11 was the big one.
>
>Does anybody remember whether the ascent or descent engine was used
>during Apollo 10's return from low orbit to rendezvous with the CSM?
>Either option seems difficult.  On the one hand, I would not expect
>the descent engine to be restartable.  On the other, firing the
>ascent engine and getting the ascent stage cleanly separated from the
>descent stage would be tricky since the descent stage was deigned to
>be firmly on the lunar surface during this operation.

Since the Apollo 10 was a full dress-rehersal for Apollo 11 it did
everything 11 would do, except land. This flying under the same lighting
conditions as 11 to take landing site pictures, establish landmarks, etc.

This included staging and returning to high-orbit using the ascent stage,
much as was done on Apollo 9 two months before. So they were doing nothing
really new, just verifying the LMs capabilities in the Lunar environment.
The notable thing that happened on Apollo 10 was at the point of staging when
one of the crew accedentally switched the computer from "attitude hold", over
to a mode that told it to start hunting for the CM. Since the CM was nowhere
to be found the LM went into a wild dance. Stafford hit the abort button
(what Armstrong would've done if the 1202 and 1201 alarms were too serious
to ignore), staged and everything calmed down. They were at an altitude of
about 8 1/2 NM (at least according to the Flight Plan), and were coming up
to a mountain that was 3 miles high. Pretty dramatic stuff.

          *** mike (still looking for a publisher) smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

In article <17231@bellcore.bellcore.com> ddavey@grits.UUCP (Doug Davey) writes:
>... On the other, firing the
>ascent engine and getting the ascent stage cleanly separated from the
>descent stage would be tricky since the descent stage was deigned to
>be firmly on the lunar surface during this operation.

No, there were various abort possibilities (including running out of
descent-stage fuel while trying to find a smooth spot to land) that
required in-flight separation.  I *think* Apollo 10 tested it.
--

vail@tegra.UUCP (Johnathan Vail) (07/20/89)

In article <4481acbf.b097@shadow.engin.umich.edu> tyg@caen.engin.umich.edu (Tom Galloway) writes:

   The last was probably a good thing. I remember as a kid thinking that if I was
   on 10's flight, I would have gotten some printouts before leaving of what
   information would be needed to land and revendevous later, and gone ahead and
   landed. So what if I would've been court-martialed....Just imagine what the
   temptation would have been like if a landing and return had been possible.

I remember a documentary about the X-15.  There was one pilot that
with just a little more pressure on the stick could have been the
first into space.  He followed the mission and didn't do it.  Of
course on later a mission a pilot died when his plane re-entered
backwards...

____//|
  O \\|
 _____
 -----

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (07/20/89)

In article <199@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) writes:

>My memory indicates that the descent stage was cut free, and the ascent
>stage was used for the rendezvouz.  Again, the book "Chariots for Apollo"

Mine too. And I also recall the the LEM underwent some very scary
gyrations when the ascent stage was fired.....which were not worried
about afterward, as this was the only time anyone planned to fire the
ascent stage/jettision the descent stage in flight.

pkr