[sci.space] latest Quayle gaffe

leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) (07/21/89)

In article <14477@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>By the way this is only barely sci.space, but I assume folks have heard
>about Danno's latest.

    Perhaps this is a heretical thought, but it seems to me that
Quayle is actually doing a *good job* as chairman of the NSC.  Now,
maybe this is just because it's full of competent people; but even
then, it shows he's listening to them.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@apple.com)
    Apple Integrated Systems

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (07/21/89)

In article <33327@apple.Apple.COM> leech@Apple.COM (Jonathan Patrick Leech) writes:
>Perhaps this is a heretical thought, but it seems to me that
>Quayle is actually doing a *good job* as chairman of the NSC.

WHAT!!!  This statement shows a complete lack of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
and you can expect a visit from the Thought Police very soon!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Seriously, though, Quale looks to be one of those people whose
tongue is disengaged from his brain.  Gerald Ford is another.
It doesn't mean the man is an idiot.  You're right, he *does*
seem to be doing a good job as chairman of the NSC.
--
"Ain't nothin' in the middle                  Mike Van Pelt
o' the road, 'cept a yellow                   Headland Technology/Video 7

gvg@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Greg Goebel) (07/24/89)

> Seriously, though, Quale looks to be one of those people whose
> tongue is disengaged from his brain.  Gerald Ford is another.
> It doesn't mean the man is an idiot.  You're right, he *does*
> seem to be doing a good job as chairman of the NSC.

I don't think Quayle could be too stupid and reach the position he has,
and besides, he's got the entire world listening to every word he says,
looking for a gaffe.  (Some news magazine was making fun of him for
holding an RPG rocket launcher backwards ... big deal.  That only
would've been remarkable if it had been loaded.)

Ronald Reagan made gaffes all the time -- "The bombing starts in five
minutes!" sticks out -- and all it ever did for him was make him more
popular.  People could identify with him ...

    | Greg Goebel                                                         |
    | Hewlett-Packard CWO / 1000 NE Circle Boulevard / Corvallis OR 97330 |
    | (503) 750-3969                                                      |
    | INTERNET: cwo_online@hp-pcd                                         |
    | HP DESK:  CWO ONLINE / HP3900 / 20                                  |