[sci.space] space news from June 19 AW&ST, and Apollo-anniversary edito

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (07/22/89)

In the referenced article, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) wrote:

>In all the fuss about lunar bases and Mars missions, it is easy to lose
>track of one big, unpleasant, nasty fact that has gone from unlikely to
>certain in the last 20 years.  Unless something changes radically...

>None of us is going.

>Ever.

Henry went on with excellent political suggestions about HR2674 (which I
have been working on this last week, so I didn't feel guilty.)  But
I have to respectfully disagree with him.  I *am* going, even if it
takes 200 years, or we have to have well developed nanotechnology to
afford the hardware.  I am within a few years of 50, so how can I think
about being alive in 30 years, much less think of going into space?

Simple, I signed up several years ago for cryonic suspension (if and
when I need it).  While the last year and a half has partly been spent
in defending my cryonics organization (Alcor) from the Riverside
coroner, I find that my enthusiams for working on space project has
greatly improved since I have at least some chance of benifiting from
my efforts.  This isn't for everyone (it took Drexler years to convince
me that freezing saves enough for nanotechnology to fix) but for a
truly dedicated spacer, this is one way to get there, "even if we
have to walk."  Keith Henson--A founder of the (gone but not forgotten)
L5 Society.  (PS--the Riveside Grand Jury recently recomended *abolishing*
the coroners office)

BRIDGE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (JOHN BRIDGE) (07/23/89)

     Is this guy for real?  Whew!

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (07/24/89)

In article <2680@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> BRIDGE@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (JOHN BRIDGE) writes:

>     Is this guy for real?  Whew!

Yes he is, but I wish he would get his dates right! ......Peter