[sci.space] S-Band Beacon on Moon

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/20/89)

In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>down when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago.  I could be wrong.

Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
nuclear reactors?
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

In article <683@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>>... when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago...
>
>Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
>nuclear reactors?

No, but it was costing some small amount of money to receive, store, and
analyze the data.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) (07/21/89)

In article <683@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>>down when the Apollo seismometer network was shut down (to save some
>>trifling amount of money!!! :-[ ) some years ago.  I could be wrong.
>Eh? Was ConEd charging NASA for the power produced by the (moon-based)
>nuclear reactors?

I started working at a NASA tracking station shortly after ALSEP was
shut down.  The story I heard was that NASA ran out of money to receive,
record and process the telemetry data.  The tracking stations used to
record ALSEP data for hours at a time, every day.  I was also told that
NASA had warehouses full of magnetic tape that couldn't be reduced or
analyzed due to lack of funding.

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) (07/21/89)

In article <1989Jul20.155847.15452@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>No, but it was costing some small amount of money to receive, store, and
>analyze the data.

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask: why even bother to shut the
things off? Just ignore them, and if they're still working a few years later
when you change your mind, so much the better. If they had shut off the
deep space network, would they have given a command to the Voyagers and
pioneers "make no further broadcasts, accept no further instructions from
Earth"?

\    /\    /\    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\.-.-.-.-.......___________
 \  /  \  /  \  /Dept of Geophysics, Stanford University \/\/\.-.-....___
  \/    \/    \/Joe Dellinger joe@hanauma.stanford.edu  apple!hanauma!joe\/\.-._

john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) (07/21/89)

In article <481@gronk.UUCP> johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) writes:

>I started working at a NASA tracking station shortly after ALSEP was
>shut down.  The story I heard was that NASA ran out of money to receive,

John,

The question at hand is did NASA leave the transmitter on the moon running?
You could probably answer this as well as anyone.  I read a new report in
the local yellow rag that the transmitter had been left on and that only
the tracking station had been shut down.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) (07/22/89)

In article <481@gronk.UUCP> johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) writes:
->I started working at a NASA tracking station shortly after ALSEP was
->shut down.  The story I heard was that NASA ran out of money to receive,
->record and process the telemetry data....
->--
->John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

So, we shut down the transmitter so that NOBODY could recieve it.

Makes sense to me. :-(

----------
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075\  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

add@v7fs1.UUCP (Andrew D. Daniel) (07/22/89)

In article <1989Jul17.230138.26746@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1473@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
>>... a radio transmitter that was left on the Moon ... still operating.
>
>As far as I know, all the Apollo lunar-surface transmitters were shut
>down ... to save some trifling amount of money!!!

Am I missing something here?
How could shutting down something already on the moon save ANY money?

I DID hear that NASA recently shut down a listening station that was picking
up signals from moon-based instruments to save $2M per year, but that
the instruments themselves were still operating.

--

Andrew D Daniel, Video Seven, Inc.           Angels fear to tread
..ames!vsi1!v7fs1!add                        where fools login:

In article <138@nwnexus.WA.COM> edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) writes:
>wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
>"Unix Public Access for the Masses!"

Now Ed, lets enforce the consitutional separation of church and (solid) state.

--

In article <3828@portia.Stanford.EDU> joe@hanauma.stanford.edu (Joe Dellinger) writes:
>Here's a question I've always wanted to ask: why even bother to shut the
>things off? Just ignore them, and if they're still working a few years later
>when you change your mind, so much the better.

Unfortunately, spectrum space is not in overwhelmingly abundant supply, so
it's considered desirable to shut down transmitters that you are no longer
listening to.  (It is also considered desirable to have a way to shut the
transmitters absolutely and permanently off, so they can't reawaken due to
static in the receivers and the like.)

>If they had shut off the
>deep space network, would they have given a command to the Voyagers and
>pioneers "make no further broadcasts, accept no further instructions from
>Earth"?

Very probably.
--
1961-1969: 8 years of Apollo.  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1969-1989: 20 years of nothing.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) (07/25/89)

In article <5951@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
>The question at hand is did NASA leave the transmitter on the moon running?
>You could probably answer this as well as anyone.  I read a new report in
>the local yellow rag that the transmitter had been left on and that only
>the tracking station had been shut down.

The usual procedure for mothballing a spacecraft is to shut off the
transmitter and non-essential systems.  The receiver and command decoder
are left on so the spacecraft can be reactivated later.  I suspect this
is what happened to ALSEP.  The tracking stations were _not_ shut down.
There were plenty of other activities to keep them open.  The ISEE
(International Sun Earth Explorer) spacecraft replaced ALSEP in the
"track it and record telemetry for many hours a day" category.  There were
a pair of instrumentation recorders at Ascension that had been dedicated
to supporting ALSEP.  After ALSEP was shutdown, quite a bit of effort was
needed to repair all of the circuit boards that hadn't been used in
the ALSEP recorder configuration.

With the advent of an operational TDRS system, the ground tracking network
is finally being reduced to a minimal number of stations.  Bermuda and
Merrit Island (KSC) are being kept open for launch support.  The rest are
going to be shutdown, turned over to JPL's Deep Space Network or the
Air Force.

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl