[sci.space] Voice channel beeps.

bill@berlioz (Bill Bencze) (07/22/89)

This is a question that always has been bugging me and I have never
been given a good answer:

What function do the ever present "beeps" serve in the voice
communication between spacecraft and the ground? These are the
1~3 kHz beeps of about a half second in duration which seem to
occur at random duning the transmissions.  Are they electronic
"Over" signals automatically sent at the end of a transmission or
some other type of timing signal.

Please satisfy my curiosity!!!

Bill Bencze.
National Semiconductor Corp.

bill@bach.nsc.com.

masticol@athos.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (07/22/89)

Bill Bencze writes:

] What function do the ever present "beeps" serve in the voice
] communication between spacecraft and the ground? These are the
] 1~3 kHz beeps of about a half second in duration which seem to
] occur at random duning the transmissions.  Are they electronic
] "Over" signals automatically sent at the end of a transmission or
] some other type of timing signal.

They're not random. I believe they're sent when the speaking party's
VOX times out (after about a half second of silence).

- Steve (masticol@athos.rutgers.edu)

johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) (07/25/89)

In article <474@bach.nsc.com> bill@berlioz (Bill Bencze) writes:
>What function do the ever present "beeps" serve in the voice
>communication between spacecraft and the ground? These are the
>1~3 kHz beeps of about a half second in duration which seem to
>occur at random duning the transmissions.  Are they electronic
>"Over" signals automatically sent at the end of a transmission or
>some other type of timing signal.

The beeps are called "QUINDAR tones".  I believe QUINDAR was the
manufacturer of the equipment that decodes the tones.  The tones are
used to control transmit/receive switching in the air-to-ground voice
communications equipment.  Two tones are used, one when a transmission
begins, the other when it ends.

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl