[sci.space] Space telescope - why only 1200 hours?

richmond@astroplasma.berkeley.edu (Michael Richmond) (07/25/89)

  As to why HST only has 1200 hours of observing time in its first
year: I'm not sure whether that figure includes several months of
testing, but one thing I did learn recently is that,
on those occasions when an observation is being
made for more than one half-orbital period (45 minutes), the
telescope is left pointing at the object - and hence looking at
the EARTH - for another 45 minutes, until the object comes back
out from behind the Earth. It seems that it's more practical
(timewise? propellent-wise?) to leave the telescope where it
is pointing than to move it to another object for a short time,
then go back and re-acquire the first one.

  I'd be glad to learn that I am mistaken - can anyone tell us
more about this "feature" of ST? I realize that you lose a lot
of observing time being in LEO, and that it really needs to be
there, but ...

  Oh well, I imagine that probably only a small number of ST
observations are being made this way; most are probably less
than 45 minutes long.

--                                          Michael Richmond
"This is the heart that broke my finger."   richmond@bllac.berkeley.edu

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (07/25/89)

In article <26623@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> richmond@astroplasma.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Michael Richmond) writes:

>I realize that you lose a lot
>of observing time being in LEO, and that it really needs to be
>there, but ...

Why does it really need to be LEO?  Why not put it in a higher orbit?

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department