[sci.space] Henry's

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (07/25/89)

In article <14484@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>I treasure Henry's acerbity,

Perhaps I should make a comment about this.  On occasion I enjoy Henry
as well.  As NASA gets more connected into networks of the world (and as
many of the computer security types don't learn about them), some of the
stuff I mentioned at HQ and other NASA sites become more common knowledge
[for instance they were considering a policy on freeware].  As time
has progressed and I have become more cynical (climbing DOWN the ladder,
so to speak), I encounter more and more NASA people who discover the
space mailing list or at Ames (News).  And they comment on the readership,
Henry among others.  In large part they just ignore his (and others)
more negative ramblings (no one ever listens to me).  Its not a matter
of not listening to one's critics: there are traditional paths of
comment and review, and networks aren't one of them.  But the point of
this note to you is to illustrate how NASA is changing and how
some of the bureacracy reacts to people (since people asked).  Water off
a duck's back.  There is a point where people just regard things as noise
and that point is reached very quickly by people reading who have work
to do (unless you have a news window on a multiwindow workstation).
So Henry has pushed most people's internal button's too far and lost
credibility.

>What's missing is getting down and dirty on the inner planets, in my
>view.  That's where the excitement lies.  IMAX on a sample return and
>rover mission!  How bout it!

Sounds great.  Don't see a question mark.  The problem is understanding
the scale of these endeavours.  Consider holding a conversation
in light-time.  That's a real problem going to places like Mars or
Venus.  Just so long as you don't have the short-term "must have it now"
mentality.  Space is big, really big...... 8)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.