[sci.space] Neil Armstrong

fcs@hardy.harris.com (Fred Sabernick) (07/22/89)

In article <8907201212.AA06992@decwrl.dec.com> klaes@wrksys.dec.com
(CUP/ASG, MLO5-2/G1 6A, 223-3283) writes:

>                         The Apollo 11 Astronauts
>
>    Neil A. Armstrong, commander of Apollo 11, the first man to set foot
>    on the Moon, was born in Wapakoneta, Ohio, August 5, 1930.  Armstrong
>    was the only civilian member of the Apollo 11 crew.  He was selected
>    as an astronaut in 1962 and served in Gemini 8 before being assigned
>    as commander of the Apollo 11 mission.  Armstrong is now Chairman of
>    Computer Technologies for Aviation, Inc., Lebanon Ohio.

There is a humorous but rather unflattering story about Neil Armstrong in
Chuck Yeager's autobiography _Yeager_. The gist of the story is that Chuck
and Neil were flying together at Edwards and Neil wanted to try a touch and
go on the lakebed beneath them. Chuck from past experience tried to convince
Neil that the lakebud was really mud and if they landed they would not be
able to take off again, but Neil was apparently determined to try. Well, they
touched down and got stuck in the mud, and had to wait hours before they were
picked up and returned home. Wonder what the cockpit conversation was like
while they were waiting @8-).

[ The previous summary is from memory. My apologies if I don't have all the
  details correct. ]

Fred Sabernick              (Damn, can't think of a good space quote.)
fcs@hardy.hdw.harris.com

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (07/25/89)

In article <1116@hcx1.UUCP>, fcs@hardy.harris.com (Fred Sabernick) writes:

> There is a humorous but rather unflattering story about Neil Armstrong in
> Chuck Yeager's autobiography _Yeager_. The gist of the story is that
> [...Neil does a touch and go on a dry lake and gets stuck in the mud...]

Another story was that he attempted to taxi a Century-series fighter
all the way to the hangar after shutting down the engine.  The only
problem was that the hydraulic system ran off the engine, and there
was only enough pressure to steer into position...but not enough to
operate the brakes.  (And they *told* him not to try it.)

On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have been the type to make a
given mistake more than once.