[sci.space] RTG's and nuclear reactors.

neal@lynx.uucp (Neal Woodall) (08/29/89)

In article <2243@jane.uh.edu> CHEEHH@jane.uh.edu (Rikhit Arora) writes:

>mentioned that one should get rid of RTG's altogether and switch to
>nuclear reactors.  Well, what exactly is an RTG then?  It *is* called
>a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator.  How much different is it
>from a genuine nuclear reactor?

I am going to work from old memories here....a nuclear reactor is a device
which uses the neutron emissions of certain radioactive elements to build
up a nuclear chain reaction (you know the old stuff....one neutron causes
multiple neutrons, each of which causes more multiple neutrons, etc). In
the case of a nuclear reactor which generates electricity, the reaction is
moderated by some control rods made of cadmium (which is a "hungry" neutron
absorber), else the reaction can get out of hand and meltdown! These things
are tricky to moderate, and need an active control system to keep them
from going super-critical.

The RTG's used in spaceflight are probably based on nuclear fuel that does
not emit neutrons, and therefore cannot start a nuclear chain reaction. The
decaying nuclear fuel will emit large ammounts of energy for a long time,
but there is no chance of a runaway reaction and its possible consequences.
Because there is no "chain reaction" possible, there is no need for an active
control system, and the thing is both simpler and safer than a real reactor.
Of course, the power output is lower, but you don't get something for nothing.

Any comments from net.land??

>And what technical difficulty
>prevents NASA from using a real nuclear reactor for these deep space
>probes?

Probably that they are too tricky to moderate (needs that active control
system) and there are more failure modes, some of them catastrophic!

Neal