[sci.space] Eugene Cernan talks for dollars

arppeter@ac.dal.ca (08/30/89)

In article <423@huxley.UUCP>, steve@huxley.UUCP (Steve Stein) writes:
> Astronaut Captain Eugene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon,
> will be speaking at Acton-Boxboro (MA) Regional High School on
> Thursday, October 12 from 6:30-8:00 PM.  Tickets are $12 for an
> adult, $10 for children.  Proceeds will benefit the Acton
> Discovery Museums.
>
> There will be a reception following the talk at the Acton
> Science Discovery Museum.  A limited number of tickets are
> available for the reception at $35 apiece.

Whew, steep prices! I am not surprised to see these costs when
I realize it is for a "good cause".  However, Gene came and
spoke to my High School Graduation Class in rural Calgary back in 1980.
There was no charge.  As I recall, the main point he had
to say was that when one saw the earth as a globe in space (if you recall,
Apollo 17's return trajectory brought it between the earth and the sun giving
us the "whole earth" photo) one good not deny the possibility of God.
Thankfully, he didn't dwell on this too long and we saw some great slides of
the mission and had Gene's running commentary to boot.  All for free.

I wonder if I would have paid to go to my grad?

Peter J. Russell
Bitnet: ARPPETER@AC.DAL.CA    or   OFFSHOR@TUNS.CA
"Just as Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong, baby you were meant for me"
	-I forgot who wrote this lyric, so sue me!