[sci.space] NASA Headline News for 08/29/89

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (08/29/89)

                           NASA Headline News
Tuesday, August 29, 1989                       Audio:202-755-1788

This is NASA Headline News for Tuesday, August 29..........

The Space Shuttle Atlantis was moved from the Kennedy Space
Center's Vehicle Assembly Building to Launch Pad 39-B this
morning.  The vehicle was secured at the pad by 10 A.M., and the
rotating service structure is scheduled to be moved around the
vehicle by 2 P.M.  Atlantis is scheduled to be powered-up during
second shift today and its payload bay doors opened tomorrow
during first shift operations.  Galileo, the primary STS-34
payload, is slated to be installed into Atlantis' payload bay
tomorrow.  Launch of STS-34 and the Jupiter-bound Galileo
spacecraft remains targeted for October 12.

Scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced yesterday
that Neptune and its most interesting moon, Triton, have auroras
similar to the northern lights which occur near the Earth's
poles.  The information was gathered last Friday during Voyager's
closest encounter with Neptune, but it took scientists several
days to understand the data.  The auroras were detected by
Voyager's ultraviolet detector and were recorded over almost all
areas of Neptune and Triton.

Two Cornell University astronomers announced that they have
discovered a galaxy in the making.  The giant hydrogen cloud was
accidentally found by the pair last spring while they adjusted
the giant optical telescope at an observatory in Arecibo, Puerto
Rico.  The galaxy, which is said to be ten times larger than the
Milky Way, contains no stars and is not visible by optical
telescopes.  Rather, the hydrogen cloud produces radio signals
like those that would be emitted if a galaxy were there.
Astronomers will not be able to verify the existence of the
possible galaxy until next spring when it should again be
detectable from Earth.

                   *             *               *

Here's the broadcast schedule for public affairs events on NASA
Select TV.  All times are Eastern.........

Tuesday, August 29

Coverage of Voyager's encounter with Neptune concludes today with
a 1 p.m. press conference from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in
Pasadena, California.  More televised images of the planet begin
at noon, and all coverage should end by 3:30 p.m.
Transponder 13 on Satcom F2R and transponder 21 on Aurora 1.

All events and times are subject to change without notice.

These reports are filed daily Monday through Friday at 12 noon,
Eastern time.

A service of the Internal Communications Branch, (LPC), NASA
Headquarters.

marty@puppsr.princeton.edu (marty ryba) (08/30/89)

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>                           NASA Headline News
>Tuesday, August 29, 1989                       Audio:202-755-1788

>This is NASA Headline News for Tuesday, August 29..........

>Two Cornell University astronomers announced that they have
>discovered a galaxy in the making.  The giant hydrogen cloud was
>accidentally found by the pair last spring while they adjusted
>the giant optical telescope at an observatory in Arecibo, Puerto
           ^^^^^^^
It's a *radio* telescope, dammit!!!!!!!!!!

>Rico.  The galaxy, which is said to be ten times larger than the
>Milky Way, contains no stars and is not visible by optical
>telescopes.  Rather, the hydrogen cloud produces radio signals
>like those that would be emitted if a galaxy were there.
>Astronomers will not be able to verify the existence of the
>possible galaxy until next spring when it should again be
>detectable from Earth.

>These reports are filed daily Monday through Friday at 12 noon,
>Eastern time.

>A service of the Internal Communications Branch, (LPC), NASA
>Headquarters.

I hope this kind of screw-up isn't indicative of the quality of people they
use for PR!

I know the people involved (Riccardo Giovannelli and Martha Haynes).  They
are very much radioastronomy types; the 300-m Arecibo radiotelescope is a
wonderful instrument (I use it constantly) that I feel gets too little respect.
(flame off -- thrrrrrup!) :-)

Marty Ryba (slave physics grad student)
They don't care if I exist, let alone what my opinions are!
marty@puppsr.princeton.edu
Asbestos gloves always on when reading mail