[sci.space] PHONE TREE ALERT

web@garnet.berkeley.edu (William Baxter) (07/19/89)

Call Congressman Robert Roe (D-NJ) at 202/225-5751.  Ask him, as
chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, to hold
hearings on HR2674, the Space Transportation Services Purchase Act of
1989, as soon as possible.

William Baxter

ARPA: web@{garnet,brahms,math}.Berkeley.EDU
UUCP: {sun,dual,decwrl,decvax,hplabs,...}!ucbvax!garnet!web

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN NOW AND SCREAM AT HIM UNTIL HE EQUATES "NASA" WITH
"SPACE PROGRAM"

dls@mtgzx.att.com (d.l.skran) (07/21/89)

In article <26466@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, web@garnet.berkeley.edu (William Baxter) writes:

> Call Congressman Robert Roe (D-NJ) at 202/225-5751.  Ask him, as
> chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, to hold
> hearings on HR2674, the Space Transportation Services Purchase Act of
> 1989, as soon as possible.
>

> William Baxter

I would like to remind people that although this is a good idea,
it IS NOT an official NSS phonetree alert. In general, any posting
from Baxter or Bowery should be regarded as representing only their
opinions.

Dale Skran

dls@mtgzx.att.com (d.l.skran) (08/29/89)

In article <14597@bfmny0.UUCP>, tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:

> First of all,
>
> and second of all, what does it imply about the collective IQ of NSS members
> to suggest that they can't tell the difference themselves at this point?

Although I am sure that that many net readers can immdiately spot the
difference between Baxter's fake "PHONE TREE ALERTS" and the real thing,
I am writing for the benefit of innocent new NSS members who have yet
to discover the complexities of pro-space activism, and who probably think
Baxter holds some high office at NSS Headquarters.

I ask Mr. Baxter, in the spirit of truthfulness, to refer to his
personal alerts as BAXTER ALERTS or BAXTER SPACE ACTIVIST ALERTS
or somesuch.

> Baxter's postings reflect concrete advocacy.  Skran's are irrelevant
> intramural politics.

It is true that this particular posting by Baxter does represent
concrete advocacy. However, this is not typical of Mr. Baxter's contributions
to the net, which consist mainly of unconstructive personal attacks on
Mark Hopkins, and diatribes against NASA management and NSS leadership.

I would further like to state that I personally support this bill,
and that as far as I know so do Scot Pace and the NSS Legislative
Committee. The bill has been distributed by NSS Headquarters to chapters
so they can organize support for it. In fact, I know of no one who
actually opposes this bill.

Dale Skran

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/30/89)

Baxter does not identify himself as representing the NSS in any way.
Are "innocent new NSS members" (nice ring to that) taught that any
advocacy announcement should be presumed of NSS origin unless a specific
disclaimer appears?  If so, why is it Baxter's responsibility to
disabuse them of the notion?  Finally, if Baxter urges phone support for
a bill the NSS likes, why pick that moment to post a "dissociation"
article, if not for the pursuit of petty politics?

I'm soiling my keyboard composing this.  Enough!  Down with stupid
political squabbling and up with space.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET