[sci.space] space news from Aug 14 AW&ST

Cover story this issue is the Pegasus roll-out.  Nice-looking bird.  All
white rather than the black seen in artists' conceptions, with no markings
at all.  The one thing slightly surprising about it, to me, was that the
trailer it's on looks like it was built to carry 747s -- it's very massive.
[Built to handle Pegasus's larger successors?]  This Pegasus is complete
except that its solid motors are filled with inert ballast rather than
live fuel, for captive-carry tests.  The tests will mostly check out the
old X-15 pylon and Pegasus's adapter (necessary because the attachment
points aren't in the same places as those of the X-15); no drop tests
of the inert Pegasus are planned.  The carry tests will lead up to launch
in October.  Total development costs up to first launch are estimated
at $50M; Hercules/OSC expect to recover this within the first 20 launches.
At the moment there are either 2 or 3 firm launch bookings, depending on
how you count.  OSC expects 2 launches this year and 4-5 next year; the
assembly tooling could support 12/year.  There is growing interest in
launching small payloads, especially as a way to get flight opportunities
out of shrinking government budgets.  The first payload is a DARPA
data-relay satellite and a pair of NASA chemical-release experiments.
Launch will occur about 60 miles west of Big Sur, so that Pegasus will
be visible to the Western Test Range equipment at Vandenberg.

Congress orders DoD to prepare a comprehensive plan for military comsat
requirements and programs for the next decade, saying that the Pentagon's
comsat architecture is in a "state of complete disarray".

House Appropriations Committee staff launches inquiry into the space
station, based on suspicions that a lot of the money is not really going
into technical development.  [What a surprise.]

NASA initial FY91 budget submission was for $17G, lowered to $14G after
OMB got a first glance at it.  The wishlist includes two orbiters,
Shuttle-C, the space-station lifeboat, and a large assortment of science
missions including Mission To Earth and Gravity Probe B.

SDI defers decision on whether to proceed with current plans or switch
the main-line effort to something else (e.g. Brilliant Pebbles), pending
a major review.  Congress expresses some skepticism about SDI chasing
fashionable ideas rather than getting its act together.

Soviet spysat, Cosmos 2030, explodes in orbit.  Believed to have been
detonated deliberately after maneuvering control was lost.  This happened
in low orbit and most of the debris has reentered already.  The Soviet
spysat programs have been very busy of late, for no obvious reason.

Cosmos 1870 radarsat commanded into destructive reentry, after the
two-year-old satellite started to fail.  A second large radarsat is
scheduled to go up next year, and there are hopes of commercial sales
of data once the third -- intended as an operational, rather than
experimental, bird -- goes up in 1992.

STS-28 deploys advanced imaging spysat Aug 8.  Satellite is an upgraded
version of the KH-11 [i.e. the KH-12?  not clear].  This bird is at a lower
altitude than the Lacrosse launched last year, and was deployed using the
arm, which Lacrosse wasn't.  A small secondary payload, developed by JPL
and Goddard, possibly for SDI, is believed to have remained aboard; seven
other unidentified experiments were aboard.  NASA is very pleased that
Columbia is back in service, given the demand for shuttle flights.

Remaining shuttle missions this year are 34 (Atlantis carrying Galileo,
Oct 12), 33 (Discovery with a DoD payload, Nov 19), and 32 (Columbia
carrying a comsat and the gear for LDEF retrieval, Dec 18).

NASA-industry team reviews options for handling possible space-station
budget cuts.  Top on the list is cutting the crew from 8 to 4; there are
a bunch of other minor things that might be done, but none with any big
impact.

Ariane 44LP [first flight of the biggest Ariane 4 configuration] booster
launches Hipparcos star mapper and TVSat 2 broadcast satellite.  [AW&ST
jumped the gun a bit and claimed that they were launched into Clarke
orbit, which as regular readers know isn't true:  Hipparcos's apogee
motor refused to fire, to the consternation of ESA's science team.]

France approves development of Spot 4, ensuring continuation of the Spot
program.  The one change made in the project to gain approval was deletion
of a multispectral scanner for crop/vegetation work, which would have
required substantial expansion of support facilities.  Design lifetime
is five years, compared to three for Spots 1-3.  The spacecraft bus
will be the same one planned for Helios, France's military spysat being
developed for launch in 1993.  Spot 4 should go up about 1994, in time
to take over from the earlier Spots [Spot 1 is in orbit and still mostly
working, Spot 2 is being readied for launch, Spot 3 is in storage for
later launch].

Classified ad for tour of soviet space facilities in Moscow and Leningrad,
Nov 3-12.  [This got considerable attention in sci.space a month or so
ago, so I'll just repeat the inquiries address rather than the whole ad:
Aerospace Marketing Group, 4131 Spicewood Springs Road, Suite G-4, Austin
TX 78759, (512)338-4800.]
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep25.014005.1837@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
writes:

>STS-28 deploys advanced imaging spysat Aug 8.  Satellite is an upgraded
>version of the KH-11 [i.e. the KH-12?  not clear].

The "better means to transmit its images to US military field units at
sea or in such places as West Germany" (under the TENCAP programme) and
the "greater maneuvering capability"  were both advertised properties
of the KH-12, so it probably is a KH-12.  The name Strategic Response
System is new to me though.

>  This bird is at a lower
> altitude than the Lacrosse launched last year, and was deployed using the
> arm, which Lacrosse wasn't.

Article in fact says it was other way round.

Interestingly, AW&ST says 1988 Titan 34D launch from VAFB might have
carried a KH 11, echoing the recent posting from John Pike. This was the
one originally labelled as an SDS, though AW&ST had no item on it at
all as far as I know.

>"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

OK. So I'm ignorant. Who is D.D. Harriman? Meanwhile, I was beginning to
believe that Henry's summaries might be the on-line version of AW&ST
mentioned in "2010" when I noticed a recent ad therein, which says the
whole text is available on line to suitably rich subscribers. Same goes
for some other McGraw Hill trade journals.

Nick
--
Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (09/27/89)

In article <1394@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.susx.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:

>OK. So I'm ignorant. Who is D.D. Harriman?

He's the lead character in Heinlein's story "The man who sold the Moon".

A quote: "The moon rocket is gone.  Even the shuttle is gone.  We are
back to where we were in 1950.  Therefore, we must build a new rocket
and fly it to the moon!"
The story was written, BTW, in *1949*  (that's right, forty-nine,
not eighty-six)

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

In article <1394@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.susx.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>>  This bird is at a lower
>> altitude than the Lacrosse launched last year, and was deployed using the
>> arm, which Lacrosse wasn't.
>
>Article in fact says it was other way round.

I got the altitude right but the arm wrong -- just misread the paragraph.

>OK. So I'm ignorant. Who is D.D. Harriman?

D.D. Harriman was the fictitious protagonist of Robert A Heinlein's classic
story "The Man Who Sold The Moon" -- a Carnegie-style robber-baron plutocrat
who founded commercial spaceflight.

> Meanwhile, I was beginning to
>believe that Henry's summaries might be the on-line version of AW&ST
>mentioned in "2010"...

Afraid not. :-)  McG-H would undoubtedly want money for that!  (Although
the typically-one-month delay between the cover date and my postings is
mostly just how long it takes for me to receive, read, and summarize the
issues, and the terseness is mostly just a matter of minimizing typing
time, I also prefer to avoid any appearance of competing with the
magazine itself.)