[sci.space] Concorde, NASP, shuttles

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (09/29/89)

It's not clear to me that SSTs will ever be economical forms of transport.
Significant advances in propulsion systems are required.
At least in the near future.  I would not say the two US SST proposals
significantly differed from the slightly smaller Concorde in size.
They were in the same size class.  New Pacific markets might make
a difference, but Garrett Hardin, the biologist, wrote a letter to Science
noting that a 2 hour flight to Tokyo would only put a person there "in the
middle of the night."  "Economic markets can't be a serious consideration,"
but I am certainly aware of the companies who do much Concorde business.
But then who in the US wants to do business in Japan? 8)  Okay, Korea, or
China, etc. (Big eh?)

Today Brian Toon gave a seminar on the ozone hole and SSTs were once again
raised as a concern.

But then some of this is my opinion.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) (09/30/89)

businessman any good to save a few hours of flight from
LA to Tokyo if he spends two hours in urban traffic at either
end anyway just to go in and out of the airport.

--
Olivier Schreiber (404)894 6147, Office of Computing Services
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ccsupos

In article <5286@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>It's not clear to me that SSTs will ever be economical
>forms of transport.
Indeed, it may not do a businessman any good to shave a
few hours of flight time off his schedule if he spends
two hours in urban traffic
to get in and out of the airports of departure and
destination.