[sci.space] Space Shuttle SRB exhaust gas makeup.

klaes@wrksys.dec.com (N = R*fgfpneflfifaL 23-Oct-1989 1549) (10/24/89)

        Could someone please post information concerning the exhaust
     gases from the Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters during takeoff.
     Does it contain hydrogen oxide?

        Thanks in advance.

        Larry Klaes  klaes@wrksys.dec.com
		     or - ...!decwrl!wrksys.dec.com!klaes
    		     or - klaes%wrksys.dec@decwrl.dec.com
                     or - klaes@wrksys.enet.dec.com

             N = R*fgfpneflfifaL

In article <8910231952.AA14411@decwrl.dec.com> klaes@wrksys.dec.com (N = R*fgfpneflfifaL  23-Oct-1989 1549) writes:
>        Could someone please post information concerning the exhaust
>     gases from the Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters during takeoff.
>     Does it contain hydrogen oxide?

I.e., water?  Yes, among other things.  Lots of other things.  SRB fuel,
if I recall correctly, is ammonium perchlorate (NH4ClO4) plus a dash of
aluminum powder for extra heat, a demitasse of synthetic rubber for
mechanical strength, and an assortment of minor odds and ends to control
burn rate and such.  So the exhaust will contain water, alumina (Al2O3)
particles, carbon dioxide (from the rubber), and a witches' brew of
nitrogen and chlorine compounds and partially burnt ickiness.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

stephen@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) (10/25/89)

In article <1989Oct24.163114.29924@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>     Does it contain hydrogen oxide?
>
>I.e., water?  Yes, among other things.  Lots of other things.  SRB fuel,

technically, water is not hydrogen oxide, its dihydrogen oxide.  Were you
referring to this, or to some extremely odd form.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]Stephen M. Milton, Operator/Consultant, UCS, University of Washington []
[]                 'stephen@Milton.U.Washington.Edu'                    []
[]Lifetime Goals: Local Autonomous Anarchy, and A Good Beef on Rye Sand.[]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/25/89)

In article <1989Oct24.163114.29924@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I.e., water?  Yes, among other things.  Lots of other things.  SRB fuel,
>if I recall correctly, is ammonium perchlorate (NH4ClO4) plus a dash of
>aluminum powder for extra heat, a demitasse of synthetic rubber for
>mechanical strength, and an assortment of minor odds and ends to control
>burn rate and such.  So the exhaust will contain water, alumina (Al2O3)
>particles, carbon dioxide (from the rubber), and a witches' brew of
>nitrogen and chlorine compounds and partially burnt ickiness.

	A _dash_ of aluminum???  The majority of the thrust is achived
by the aluminum component of the fuel !
	The actual materials are Ammonium Perchorate, Aluminum powder, PVC
binder and extra bits to stabilize.  It's about 99% those three.
	Yes, the exhaust if icky.  suprise :)

George William Herbert  UCB Naval Architecture Dpt. (my god, even on schedule!)
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu

In article <1989Oct24.222743.23580@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>	A _dash_ of aluminum???  The majority of the thrust is achived
>by the aluminum component of the fuel !
>	The actual materials are Ammonium Perchorate, Aluminum powder, PVC
>binder and extra bits to stabilize.  It's about 99% those three.

If we're being picky, the numbers (according to NASA) are 69.83% ammonium
perchlorate, 16% aluminum, 12% rubber (it's not PVC, it's a polybutadiene
acrylic acid acrylonitrile polymer), 2% curing agent, and more or less
0.17% iron oxide catalyst.

And don't sneer at the idea of doing without the aluminum, because the
rubber is also a fuel; similar combinations without aluminum have almost
as high a specific impulse.  (For that matter, ammonium perchlorate by
itself is apparently non-trivial as a monopropellant, although it's not
used that way because its physical properties aren't right.)
--

In article <572@milton.acs.washington.edu> stephen@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:
>>>     Does it contain hydrogen oxide?
>>I.e., water?  Yes...
>
>technically, water is not hydrogen oxide, its dihydrogen oxide...

No, technically water is hydrogen oxide (ref: Hdbk of Chemistry & Physics,
table of inorganic compounds).  It is normal to omit numeric prefixes when
no ambiguity is present (e.g. N2O4 is nitrogen tetroxide, not dinitrogen
tetroxide), and also common to refer to the most common or "normal"
oxide of XXX as "XXX oxide" (e.g. Fe2O3 is iron oxide even though FeO
also exists; if one is being fussy one uses "ferric" and "ferrous" or
"iron (III)" and "iron (II)" to distinguish).  Chemical nomenclature
in practice is nowhere near as formalized and pedantic as it could be
in theory.
--

gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.022019.14407@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Oct24.222743.23580@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>>	A _dash_ of aluminum???  The majority of the thrust is achived
>>by the aluminum component of the fuel !
>>	The actual materials are Ammonium Perchorate, Aluminum powder, PVC
>>binder and extra bits to stabilize.  It's about 99% those three.
>
>If we're being picky, the numbers (according to NASA) are 69.83% ammonium
>perchlorate, 16% aluminum, 12% rubber (it's not PVC, it's a polybutadiene
>acrylic acid acrylonitrile polymer), 2% curing agent, and more or less
>0.17% iron oxide catalyst.
>
>And don't sneer at the idea of doing without the aluminum, because the
>rubber is also a fuel; similar combinations without aluminum have almost
>as high a specific impulse.  (For that matter, ammonium perchlorate by
>itself is apparently non-trivial as a monopropellant, although it's not
>used that way because its physical properties aren't right.)

	Okay, Henry, you got me :)
I had a tech paper from some time back that had PVC listed as the propellant,
but i checked again and Heny appears to be right.  Maybe it got changed sometime.

	As for the 'no aluminum' bit, it really was described as making
most of the difference.  There's a whole lot more energy in Al than rubber...

In article <1989Oct26.025442.17842@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@typhoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>>And don't sneer at the idea of doing without the aluminum, because the
>>rubber is also a fuel; similar combinations without aluminum have almost
>>as high a specific impulse...
>
>...	As for the 'no aluminum' bit, it really was described as making
>most of the difference.  There's a whole lot more energy in Al than rubber...

I confess I was a bit surprised myself, but Sutton lists a PVC/AP combination
as having only about 10% less exhaust velocity than PVC/AP/Al.  Aluminum is a
lot more energetic, but it also exacts a price:  aluminum oxide has a very
high molecular weight, and it tends to condense out to complicate things
further.  I'm not up enough on the fine points of solids to really assess
the tradeoffs.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jones@bach (Clark Jones) (10/28/89)

Given all of the nasties that come out of the tail end of a working SRB, it is
kind of suprising that the Luddites haven't tried to shut down the STS program
on the basis of the airpollution generated.  After thinking about some of
that stuff, I think I'll skip watching a launch in person for fear of being
downwind.  :-)

Actually, it might not be such a bad idea if the Luddites could get NASA to
abandon the SRBs.  Only a critter as stupid as Congress would go for that
unreliable a system in the first place.  ;-)

BTW, anyone besides me remember the saga of the Little Joe II?  It was a solid
fuel rocket designed to be used in testing the Apollo escape tower.  One high-
up NASA official said it was "the most reliable rocket we've built".  The
third (and final) launch produced a shattered charge about 7 sec. before
scheduled escape tower ignition, generating a much more realistic test of the
escape system than NASA had planned.  (They counted it a "successful test"!)
IMHO, the ONLY place that manned solid rockets belong are in ejection seats,
and then you put in a dozen or so, and as long as 75% or so fire when you
"pull", and NONE fire when you _DON'T_ "pull", you're OK.  You can even
tollerate a couple of them shattering while in use.

						Clark

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are mine and not those of Schlumberger
because they are NOT covered by the patent agreement!