[sci.space] finally!

Atlantis and Galileo are on their way, SRBs separated and everything
looking fine.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

lsheldon@cup.portal.com (Laurence Larry Sheldon) (10/20/89)

That the shuttle and galileo are on their way is good news, indeed.

(That _does_ mean all the rants and screeds about and by the techniphobes
will stop, does it not?)

Oh.  Sh*t!  Well.   Is there a news-group here where I can find out
about real-world stuff, status reports, and plans?

I can't read shuttle status here because the brain-damaged reader on this
service lumpw them under a "thread" that started back in August, and
now contains far too many Chrisitc fits to be worth wading through, even
for deseirable material such as shuttle status.

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (10/20/89)

From article <1989Oct18.170156.21988@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> Atlantis and Galileo are on their way, SRBs separated and everything
> looking fine.

Thanks for the information, Henry, but, uh, haven't you slipped into the
"I must be the first person in the world to announce this" trap? I'm
sure most of us heard about the launch etc.  on TV and radio before
your posting got around.

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

In article <1437@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>Thanks for the information, Henry, but, uh, haven't you slipped into the
>"I must be the first person in the world to announce this" trap? ...

It was meant to have a local distribution restriction in it, but I
goofed.  Sorry about that.
--

rossd@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Ross) (10/22/89)

In article <1437@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:

>Thanks for the information, Henry, but, uh, haven't you slipped into the
>"I must be the first person in the world to announce this" trap? I'm
>sure most of us heard about the launch etc.  on TV and radio before
>your posting got around.

 Andy, while I see what you are saying, I feel it is only fair to tell you
where _I_ first heard about the Atlantis launch. Right here. I don't know
about you, but I did NOT spend the last two weeks huddled in front of the
TV and radio waiting for news of the launch. Having spent almost all of that
time either studying myself silly or writing exams. I didn't have the time.

 The whole point of this meaningless tirade is, in short, that even if Mr.
Spencer is NOT the absolutely first person to tell _YOU_ about something,
and even if he is not the first person to tell most people, there are still
going to be a few of us who do appreciate hearing about it from SOMEBODY.

 If people only announced things when they could be sure that they were the
first to do so, things could get pretty dull.

 -D

In article <1437@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:

|  Thanks for the information, Henry, but, uh, haven't you slipped into the
|  "I must be the first person in the world to announce this" trap? I'm
|  sure most of us heard about the launch etc.  on TV and radio before
|  your posting got around.

  I'm just as happy to get the info before I get out of work.
that the world is flat!" - anon

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/24/89)

> It was meant to have a local distribution restriction in it, but I goofed.
> Sorry about that.

We'll simply be thankful that the above remark doesn't apply to plutonium.
--
	Arthur David Olson   ado@alw.nih.gov   ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

snidely@nosun.UUCP (David Schneider) (11/02/89)

In article <1949@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> rossd@acs-sun-fsf.UUCP (David Ross) writes:
> The whole point of this meaningless tirade is, in short, that even if Mr.
>Spencer is NOT the absolutely first person to tell _YOU_ about something,
>and even if he is not the first person to tell most people, there are still
>going to be a few of us who do appreciate hearing about it from SOMEBODY.

It also adds to the sense of completeness for those reading the progress
of the preparation, launch, and mission.  And some of us do lose track
of news on the conventional media (radio, TV).

					Dave Schneider
					Intel Scientific Computers