[net.sf-lovers] DUNE: Welles and Floyd

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/24/84)

From:  boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

> Back a few years, rumor had it that Orson Welles would be in DUNE.
> It did not mention his part, but I would guess he would play Baron
> "I will sell no spice before its time" Harkonnen.  (To show the
> inaccuracy of the source, it said that Pink Floyd would be doing the
> music. [The Dark Side Of Arrakis? with green pyramids?])
>
> Steve Kovner

That source was not so innacurate as you believe. There have been a few attempts
before the current production to film DUNE. In one such, being produced and
directed by Alexandro Jodorowsky, Orson Welles was indeed picked to play the
Baron (and Salvador Dali --- yes, that one! --- was to play the Emperor). Pink
Floyd was signed on to do the soundtrack for one of the productions, but I think
it wasn't for Jodorowsky, but for a previous attempt by DiLaurentiis. *That*
production was to be directed by Ridley Scott, from a script by Frank Herbert
himself, and with production designs by H. R. Giger.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA