[sci.space] A "spacey" ambition?

wmccain@x102a.harris-atd.com (mccain wb 17021) (11/08/89)

In reference to the recent discussions of how to get into space, how would
one actually go about applying?  Is there some toll free number at NASA I
could call to get an application sent to me, or is the process itself a
closely held secret?  I would appreciate hearing what anyone knows on the
subject.

Bruce McCain

colwell@mfci.UUCP (Robert Colwell) (11/08/89)

In article <2857@trantor.harris-atd.com> wmccain@x102a.harris-atd.com (mccain wb 17021) writes:
>In reference to the recent discussions of how to get into space, how would
>one actually go about applying?  Is there some toll free number at NASA I
>could call to get an application sent to me, or is the process itself a
>closely held secret?  I would appreciate hearing what anyone knows on the
>subject.

I quote:

  The application package may be obtained by writing to
 	NASA, Johnson Space Center
	Astronaut Selection Office
	Attn: AHX
	Houston, TX 77058

Bob Colwell               ..!uunet!mfci!colwell
Multiflow Computer     or colwell@multiflow.com
31 Business Park Dr.
Branford, CT 06405     203-488-6090

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/08/89)

In article <2857@trantor.harris-atd.com> wmccain@x102a.harris-atd.com (mccain wb 17021) writes:
>In reference to the recent discussions of how to get into space, how would
>one actually go about applying?

Apply for what?  There is a special procedure (and a special set of
requirements) for applying to be an astronaut.  For any other
space-related job, it's pretty much the same as applying for any other
type of job: send the company a cover letter and your resume.

Remember: working directly for NASA means working for the gonvernment,
which means taking and passing the civil servant exam (or at least, so
I am led to believe).  Also, being a full-time astronaut means working
for NASA, therefore....

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (11/09/89)

In article <1531@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:

   Remember: working directly for NASA means working for the gonvernment,
   which means taking and passing the civil servant exam (or at least, so
   I am led to believe).  Also, being a full-time astronaut means working
   for NASA, therefore....

I believe that the exam doesn't apply to technical jobs, but rather to
"general" positions--at any rate, NASA engineers and programmers don't
take it.

Actually, I think that the civil service exam is no longer used any where,
but I could be wrong.

Also, military astronauts don't work _for_ NASA, they work _at_ NASA.
--
Mary Shafer   shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

ingham@hydra.unm.edu (Kenneth Ingham) (11/10/89)

Many people have talked about going to work for NASA.  I mailed this
advice to ome person, but there was more discussion so I figured I'd
post it.

Here's one way, the way I did it for a while (I doubt that this would
work to become an anstronaut):  Be a co-op student.

I spent two semesters working at NASA Ames Research Center.  This could
have turned into a real job upon graduation (why it didn't is my fault).

As a coop student, you are still listed as a full time student at your
school, but taking 0 hours.  You work full time for the employer,
earning a modest (I was a GS-5) salary.

There was no civil service exam (is there anyway for NASA?).  I applied
at several NASA centers, but the offer from Ames looked the most
interesting.

I heartily recommend this to all students.  I'm glad I did it.  I'll be
glad to answer further questions to the best of my knowledge, although
your school's coop coordinator would be a better contact for everything
except what it was like to work at Ames in 1981 and 1982.

Kenneth Ingham          Computer and Information Resources and Technology
ingham@ariel.unm.edu	University of New Mexico
505-277-8045		Albuquerque, NM 87131