[sci.space] NASA Headline News for 12/12/89

szabonj@ibmpa.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (12/16/89)

In article <37951@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>This is NASA Headline News for Tuesday, December 12....
>
>Navstar will circularize the orbit on Wednesday.  It's the eighth
>Delta launch this year.

Unmanned strikes again!  Delta launches cost probably one-fifth to
one-tenth of a Shuttle launch, depending on whose accounting you want
to believe.

Now of course these launchers are old technology, older even than
Shuttle.  The difference is that Delta is scaled properly; Shuttle is
a monstrosity.

>A NASA high-altitude balloon will carry four astronomical
>instruments aloft from Ross Island in the Antarctica later this
>month.   The New York Times says one of the instruments is a
>large new-type cosmic ray telescope.  The experiment will exploit
>Antarctica's unique physical qualities for research.  The balloon
>will take the instrument package up to 100,000 feet altitude and
>then drift westward along the 78th parallel completing a trip
>around the Earth in about two weeks.

What???  Unmanned probes in Antartica???  Henry, we gotta putta
stop to this!  Soon they're gonna be _everywhere_!  :-)

>NASA's space activities in Florida provided that state's economy
>with a $1.24 billion boost in fiscal year 1989.  Over 18,000
>workers were employed during the year at the NASA field center.
>Of that number 2400 were civil service.

That's probably an order of magnitude less than drug smuggling.  ;-)
Seriously, it all comes out of the pockets of other states.

**** These opinions are not related to Big Blue's ********

--
---------------------------
Nick Szabo

In article <3332@ibmpa.UUCP> szabonj@ibmpa.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>Unmanned strikes again!  Delta launches cost probably one-fifth to
>one-tenth of a Shuttle launch, depending on whose accounting you want
>to believe.

I believe the NRC's accounting, which says that all current US launchers
cost about the same per pound at the same launch volume.  The enormous
cost advantage of unmanned launchers is a myth.

Well, one caveat:  Delta probably *is* somewhat cheaper now because those
are (I think) commercial launches rather than government-run ones; that
development is more recent than the NRC findings.
--
1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
exploration of space terminates| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu