[sci.space] Microrovers

KLH@NIC.DDN.MIL (Ken Harrenstien) (12/19/89)

I'm a little surprised that during the discussion of Mars rovers, etc,
nobody has debated the notion of microrovers or microspacecraft.
There were some interesting articles about this in the October 1989
issue of Aerospace America (featuring "Genghis Microrover" on the
cover).  Briefly, the basic concept is to stamp out thousands (even
millions) of cheap tiny probes or "gnat robots" which could then be
used with great abandon, relying on their smaller scale and greater
numbers to bypass the currently prohibitive requirements for
reliability or sophistication.  The articles list lots of neat little
ideas and applications for these things.

The authors were Ross M. Jones and James D. Burke of JPL
(microspacecraft) plus Rodney A. Brooks and Anita M. Flynn of the MIT
A.I. Lab (microrovers).  What makes this a little more interesting
than the usual theoretical brainstorming is the illustrations of
actual MIT mobile robot testbeds, the smallest weighing 50g.  It would
be nice if someone familiar with these areas of research could post
additional details...

--Ken
-------

In article <12551336688.32.KLH@NIC.DDN.MIL> KLH@NIC.DDN.MIL (Ken Harrenstien) writes:
>... It would
>be nice if someone familiar with these areas of research could post
>additional details...

Check out the October issue -- I think it was October -- of the Journal
of the British Interplanetary Society (any good technical library should
have this).  It's a special issue on small spacecraft and the like, with
technical papers on a variety of schemes (including several from JPL and
one from the MIT microrover people).

The main problem with microrovers is that they are a research topic, not
a well-understood technology.  That will change, possibly soon enough to
be of immediate relevance.  (At the glacial pace of US mission planning,
change "possibly" to "probably"... :-( )
--
1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
exploration of space terminates| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu