[sci.space] Space industry projects: dismantling moons and asteroids

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (12/19/89)

In article <25145@cup.portal.com> hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson):
>process metals in space.  I would be interested if Steve has any new
>ideas on how to get heat to the metal *without* curding up the mirrors
>with various rock and metal vapors.

Hey, what's a major engineering hurdle or two when you're talking about
launching a ten year mission complete with at least several megatons
of nuclear demolition charges?   :-)

I hadn't looked at that too closely, but:  The energy density on
the primaries is low, staying close to that at the earth, so crud
reduces your collection efficiency but won't destroy the reflectors.
Any secondaries will be close enough to clean.

Any escaping crud is potentially valuable reaction mass, it may
pay to collect it all carefully and feed it to the thrusters,
which of course aren't pointed at the mirrors.  Some of the crud
will be oxygen, which you may as well process and tank -- it will
be darned near as valuable as the steel.

One could design the primaries with several layers of removable
transparent film over them, to be peeled off as required (and
fed to the thrusters, wouldn't want to litter :-)

Good question though, thank you!

Another good question:  How to stop when you get there.  It would
not be a real popular move to use another nuke so close to the
nest, and I bet a lot of people would be real nervous about
an aerobraking manoeuver (gotta learn to spell) ...  I guess I'll
just have to keep a certain amount of slag and ease into the
parking spot real gentle-like.

Or have an outgoing mission bring a jumper cable and trade
a bunch of momentum.  Can't plan on that though.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"If the conjecture `You would rather I had not disturbed you

In article <25145@cup.portal.com> hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) writes:

| About 10 years ago Eric Drexler and I wrote a paper on furnaces to
| process metals in space.  I would be interested if Steve has any new
| ideas on how to get heat to the metal *without* curding up the mirrors
| with various rock and metal vapors.  Keith Henson

  I had assumed that if there were a problem in this area it would be
transporting the furnace. If the material to be melted were placed in a
cylinder of, say, ceramic, heating the cylinder would cause the
outgassing to come from the ends with some reasonable velocity. If the
mirror were on the side of the cylinder it would be at right angles to
the outgassing as should get minimal depositing.

  This is so simple and obvious that I must be missing something. What
is it, please?
that the world is flat!" - anon

lfa@VIELLE.CRAY.COM (Lou Adornato) (12/19/89)

zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu  (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>| About 10 years ago Eric Drexler and I wrote a paper on furnaces to
>| process metals in space.  I would be interested if Steve has any new
>| ideas on how to get heat to the metal *without* curding up the mirrors
>| with various rock and metal vapors.  Keith Henson
 > I had assumed that if there were a problem in this area it would be
>transporting the furnace. If the material to be melted were placed in a
>cylinder of, say, ceramic, heating the cylinder would cause the
>outgassing to come from the ends with some reasonable velocity. If the
>mirror were on the side of the cylinder it would be at right angles to
>the outgassing as should get minimal depositing.
>
>  This is so simple and obvious that I must be missing something. What
>is it, please?

Ummm...ok

1)The original idea was to dismantle an asteroid by positioning a mondo
  mirror and melting it down.  Now you need to dismantle the asteroid, put the
  pieces into a ceramic cylinder (composition unknown), and _then_ melt it.  Why
  bother with the melting if you've already powdered it enough to put it in a
  can?

2)There is also a problem of a localized hot spot on the cylinder (pretty
  similar to one of the SDI concepts), partially solveable by putting a spin
  on the cylinder, better solved if you sweep the focus along the cylinder's
  axis of spin (kind of like a fishing reel).

3)The heat transfer mechanism (from cylinder wall to material inside) is going
  to be pretty strange, with no predictable convection and conduction more or
  less proportional to how finely you've pulverized the sample.  Not only that,
  but any outgassing at "sufficient velocity" will probably throw out large
  amounts of the melt.  Again, a spin would help, allowing the melt to cling to
  the cylinder walls (and be drawn off into some kind of baffle arrangement),
  and for the gasses to head for the spin axis.  Problem is, any imbalance in
  the outgassing is going to cause the spinning, hot cylinder to precess, and
  I can't imagine an active attitude control system operating at those
  temperatures for long.

One big advantage of the spinning cauldron is that you could separate metals
by density, and, just like on Earth (and in corporate life), all the scum will
rise to the top.  But the precession problem might be more trouble to fix than
it's worth.

I think a better solution would be to use a larger mirror farther out, and
possibly place a grid next to the path between the mirror and the rock.
Charge both the mirror and the rock positively in respect to the grid, and
hope that the crud heads for the grid and not the mirror.

Lou Adornato    |  Statements herein do not represent the opinions or attitudes
Cray Research   |  of Cray Research, Inc. or its subsidiaries.
lfa@cray.com    |       (...yet)

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (12/20/89)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) in responding to a question
I posted, suggested a design for a melting furnace cylinder which would keep
metal/rock vapor from messing up the mirrors.  The original posting was
about using heat from solar colectors directly to melt astroid metal, no
containers were implied.  Keith Henson