[sci.space] Pegasus situation?

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (12/19/89)

I just checked all the recent SPACE Digests and see no mention of "Pegasus"
in the ones since #347. The following was from #344, and inspires a query
(below). I've seen absolutely nothing in local media on the results of the
test and would have been surprised to have seen anything, actually. Info
on things like this *should* be posted to SPACE; people can't expect to
get info on such things out of the general media these days. So was it
a successful test?

>Date: 13 Dec 89 19:45:10 GMT
>From: trident.arc.nasa.gov!yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Peter E. Yee)
>Subject: NASA Headline News for 12/13/89 (Forwarded)
>
>Preparations are underway for the second captive flight of the
>Pegasus air launched space booster Thursday morning.  During the
>flight a NASA B-52 will carry the 50-foot long winged booster to
>an altitude of 41,000 feet over the Pacific Ocean 50 miles off
>the California coast.  If all goes well...the first flight test
>of the Pegasus will be as early as mid-January.  The booster will
>carry a DoD and a NASA experimental payload.

Now, my query: assuming this test goes [went] OK, why is the plan to
wait until another month passes before doing it for-real? I get the
impression for the above and other net postings that this is a final
test -- everything is set up like the real launch, except they just
don't hit the "start" button. The live payload is on-board, the fuel
and consumables are all loaded, etc. The only difference is that they
then fly back to base with the vehicle still attached to the B-52.
Am I wrong on this? [If I am, then cancel this query.]

Certainly, if there are problems, they need to take whatever time is
necessary to fix whatever might have been discovered in this test. But,
if everything works OK, why wait a month? Why not then go up in a day or
two and do it for real? What's the purpose of forcing a month's delay in
any case?

Regards, Will

burdick@hpindda.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (12/20/89)

> I just checked all the recent SPACE Digests and see no mention of
> "Pegasus" in the ones since #347. The following was from #344, and
> inspires a query (below). I've seen absolutely nothing in local media on
> the results of the test and would have been surprised to have seen
> anything, actually. Info on things like this *should* be posted to SPACE;
> people can't expect to get info on such things out of the general media
> these days. So was it a successful test?

I just read a small note about it in the paper (the San Jose Mercury News)
this morning.  Apparently, the second captive test had "problems" (they
didn't elaborate) and the DoD is asking for a third captive test.  If this
happens, Pegasus probably won't be launched until Feb. some time.

							-matt
--
Matt Burdick                    | Hewlett-Packard
burdick%hpda@hplabs.hp.com      | Information Technology (IND/IT)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/21/89)

In todays (12/20) San Jose Mercury News, a brief story mentioned that DoD
is thinking about whether a third test flight will be necessary.  Either
way, we're talking about more delays.