[sci.space] Vacuum tubes in space, was Re: Techno-welfare

rfc@briar.philips.com (Robert Casey;6282;3.57;$0201) (12/21/89)

In article <8912181657.AA01075@aldrin.cray.com> lfa@VIELLE.CRAY.COM (Lou Adornato) writes:
 I humbly submit
>that, unless your host system uses vacuum tubes, disparaging the value of space
>research on this network is self defeating.

I once heard that in some R&D into Venus surface probes, they were considering
using new vacuum tube technology to make the probes last much longer.  Because
tubes don't mind the high heat found on Venus as much as semiconductors do.
These tubes would be something like vacuum "intergrated circuits".
  Don't know who was doing this, even if this was really being worked on.
  Anyone know?