[sci.space] space program goals

steve@groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) (12/22/89)

kcarroll@utzoo.uucp (Kieran A. Carroll) analysed the goals of the
Apollo program into three categories:

	1) "Geopolitical muscle-flexing" (or national prestige);

	2) Infrastructure development for further exploration/exploitation;

	3) Pure, basic, scientific research.

An interesting analysis.  One with which I can agree (at least for now).

For the purpose of discussion (please note), I now hypothesize the
following:

	1) In retrospect, the national prestige goal was irrelevant.

	2) The infrastructure goal, though laudable, was too ambitious
	   (i.e. costly).  For evidence, I note that the program was
	   cancelled (we may debate the reasons, but had the program
	   been cheap, I believe it would have survived).

	3) Only the scientific goal has the potential for long-term
	   achievability and support.  It may also allow us to
	   eventually achieve the infrastructure goal (at reasonable
	   cost) and, consequently, the national prestige goal.

Comments and discussion are encouraged.

--Steve Emmerson	steve@groucho.ucar.edu

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke,2C-119,7239,ATTBL) (12/22/89)

In article <5766@ncar.ucar.edu>, steve@groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) writes:
> kcarroll@utzoo.uucp (Kieran A. Carroll) analysed the goals of the
> Apollo program into three categories:
>
> ........deletes
>
> For the purpose of discussion (please note), I now hypothesize the
> following:
>
> 	1) In retrospect, the national prestige goal was irrelevant.

This is easy to dismiss since we won that race.  But now that the
Russians have admitted they really were in that race and were
well along on a schedule projected to be a year earlier than
our landing (until they ran into some rocket engine difficulties),
what if they HAD been first?

The Russians were the first to reach earth orbit, unmanned and then
manned.  Until we were the first to land on the moon, those
accomplishments counted for quite a bit, as I recall.

Do you remember all those ignominious blown-up rockets on the
launching pad down at KSC in those early years when we were trying
to reach unmanned earth orbit?

That geo-political objective counted for much and was a good deal
responsible for the support for the moon landing program. All the
other results that came from the program, though looking more
important today, still owe their existence to this first objective.

Forrest Gehrke clyde!feg

steve@groucho.ucar.edu (Steve Emmerson) (12/23/89)

In the referenced article, Forrest Gehrke indicates his disagreement
with my submitted hypothesis that, in retrospect, the national prestige
goal of the Apollo program was irrelevant.  He cites as evidence the
ferver of the times vis a vis the space race with the Soviet Union.

I, too, remember those times.  I cannot believe without very strong
evidence, however, that the outcome of the Moon race would have
affected, for example, the Vietnam War, the oil-embargo of '73, the
development of the PC, Watergate, the fall of the Shah, Glasnost,
democratic reforms in Eastern Europe, or our Invasion of Panama.

I also note that, although the United States "won" the Moon race, it
also developed the massive and somewhat self-serving bureaucracy that
resulted in 1) the Space Shuttle (which I view as something of a white
elephant) and 2) the Challenger tragedy/fiasco.  In retrospect, and in
my opinion, these "downs" cancel, to a large extent, the "up" of
reaching the Moon first.

These are my reasons for citing the "national prestige" goal (as
implemented) as irrelevant.

--Steve Emmerson	steve@unidata.ucar.edu