[sci.space] NASA Select television programming

kevin@perle.UUCP (Kevin Pickard) (01/09/90)

In article <39840@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>[...part of article deleted...]
>
>     There will be a substantial amount of activity on NASA
>Select television over the next several days involving a variety
>of events including:
>
>     o  STS-32 Shuttle mission to recover LDEF.
>     o  Astro-1 mission science objectives briefing.
>     o  NASA Total Quality Management Colloquium.
>     o  Delta rocket launch (DOD mission with NASA support).
>
>[...remainder of article removed...]

     Does anyone know how one can view (or record)  this  in
the  Toronto  and/or  Scarborough  area  without a Satellite
dish?  Many moons ago my local cable company (in  Downsview)
carried  this  on  the  Government  channel  during flights.
Unfortunately, here in Scarborough, that  is  not  the  case
(and maybe no longer in Downsview either).

     I called the folks at Scarboro Cable  to  discuss  this
and after talking to various people in Engineering, Program-
ming and the big man himself I was informed that it probably
would  not  happen.   Technically,  apparently,  there is no
problem.  The feeling I got was that they felt there was  no
demand for such a service.

     I was told that they would need some form  of  approval
(from  the  CRTC  if  I recall but this may be incorrect) to
carry the signal.  This is obviously possible since  it  was
done  once  before and I do not think that NASA would have a
problem with this.  I never see many postings here from  the
Toronto  area, maybe they were right in saying that there is
no demand.

--
 Space is *not* the final     | o   o |     Kevin Pickard