[sci.space] Digital terrain data

haviland@emily.uvm.edu (tom haviland) (01/12/90)

  I couldn't decide what newsgroup to post this in...graphics and space seem
to be the closest approximation (why isn't there a geography newsgroup?).

  I'm interested in 3-d terrain modelling and I'd like to be able to display
images of the terrain in different real areas.  Is there any place where one
can get digitized elevation data for various areas of the country (US)?
I tried writing the USGS, but all they sent me was info on topographics maps.

                              tom

	 					Thomas P. Haviland
			  		 	University of Vermont
  haviland@emily.uvm.edu			(802)-656-2540
            "Knowledge is no substitute for retractability"

bseeg@spectra.COM (Bob Seegmiller) (01/16/90)

In article <1375@uvm-gen.UUCP> haviland@emily.uvm.edu (tom haviland) writes:

>  I couldn't decide what newsgroup to post this in...graphics and space seem
>to be the closest approximation (why isn't there a geography newsgroup?).
>
>  I'm interested in 3-d terrain modelling and I'd like to be able to display
>images of the terrain in different real areas.  Is there any place where one
>can get digitized elevation data for various areas of the country (US)?
>I tried writing the USGS, but all they sent me was info on topographics maps.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated...

rather a surprise, that USGS would just send you info on topos, as they
have quite a collection of digital elevation maps (DEMs) covering the
country in both 7.5 second quadrangles and 1 degree DMA (Defense Mapping
Agency) data sources.  Comes on mag tapes.  Ask for their USGeoData
information.  Some areas include demographic data, as well.  And they do
send you some very pretty renderings using ERTS images over the
elevations in their brochure.  Don't know how much it costs, but they'll
tell you.  Both USGS in Reston, Va. and Palo Alto, Ca. should be able to
help.  Sorry I don't have addresses on hand, but they do advertise this
product in _Computer Graphics World (Today?)_ trade magazine (the big
glossy newspaper-sized one).
--
| Bob Seegmiller <The usual disclaimer>  | Spectragraphics Corp.               |