[sci.space] KSC tours

andy@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andy Bond) (01/17/90)

In article <9001120343.AA13155@cmr.ncsl.nist.gov> roberts@CMR.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Roberts) writes:
>There's also an annex in Maryland where you can see workers actually restoring
>the old planes for display (and sometimes flight). I've never been there,
>but it sounds like an interesting place.

Hmmm, I think it's called the Francis E. Garber Center or something
similar.  While in DC in the early 80's, I visited this place several
times.  It's fascinating ... like going up in the attic and rummaging
through the relics.  They just had so much stuff and so little time to
restore it and space to display it.  I remember being really amazed to
(literally) run into the Enola Gay (sp?) in one of the sheds.  The Air
& Space museum is pretty incredible, but this place is miles more
interesting.  (If in DC, the Goddard Space Center is also a 'must see'.)

Apparently the USAF Museum at Wright-Paterson AFB (Dayton, Ohio ?)
also has an interesting collection of early aircraft and space junk.

andy
--
Internet: andy@comp.vuw.ac.nz      |    Andy Bond, Dept. of Computer Science
UUCP:     ...!uunet!vuwcomp!andy   |    Victoria University