[net.sf-lovers] ConstructedWorlds

duntemann.wbst@XEROX.ARPA (07/11/84)

Lordy, it was such an awful book I had plum forgotten it...

Patra-Bannk was the hollow planet from THE WORLD IS ROUND by (I think;
book's at home) Tony Rothman, who is the son of another Rothman
who occasionally writes SF.  (First name escapes me right now.)

THE WORLD IS ROUND was a sad example of a book containing a well-worked
out technological concept and entirely too much filler.  Patra-Bannk
was a titanic shell surrounding a black hole, rotating very slowly as
it revolved about its star.  The combination of slow rotation and period
of revolution made for some very bizarre seasons, alternately hideously
cold and killingly hot.  End of interesting stuff.

What remains is silliness overlaid upon silliness, loose ends galore,
and an ending which left one most thoroughly disappointed.  This might
have been something as novel as Ringworld, had the author taken the
time to concoct something clever to happen on or inside the planet.
Instead there is a stupid war among stupid humanoids and no identifiable
motivation for any of it.

The best parts of this book were the cover painting, the essay on the
seasonal dynamics of Patra-Bannk, and the name of one (minor) character:
Paddleack.  The rest, after a year or two, has simply faded into
the mud.  Skip it.

PS:  Do remind me of any other Constructed World stories you are
familiar with...

--Jeff Duntemann
  The Carbon Filament Rat
  duntemann.wbst@xerox

VLSI%DEC-MARLBORO@sri-unix.UUCP (07/14/84)

From:  John Redford <VLSI at DEC-MARLBORO>

Here are all the constructed worlds that I can think of, including the
ones that have been mentioned already:

"Ringworld" and "The Ringworld Engineers" by Larry Niven - The classic example.
    There is some planet-shuffling in "The World Out of Time" as well, but
    no planet construction.

"Orbitsville" by Bob Shaw - Dyson sphere with Earth-like condtions inside
    (well, Earth-like except that the sun never sets).
    I think there's a sequel out now.

"The World is Round" by Tony Rothman - Jupiter-sized hollow planet
    whose main reason for existence seems to be to make it tough for
    the people on it to realize they are living on a sphere.  They go
    ahead and prove it anyhow, using the same techniques we did.

"Wall Around a Star" by Jack Williamson and Fred Pohl - Extra-galactic
    star-size planet attacks the Milky Way.  "The Farthest Star" also
    has the same premise.

"Strata" by Terry Pratchet - People find Earth-moving machinery left over
    from an alien civilization and start to roll their own.

"Cageworld" by Colin Kapp - Four volumes in this series are out now.  Giant
    computer builds shells around the Sun to provide more living room.  The
    old planets (the "cageworlds") sit in gaps in the shell like ball
    bearings in a race.  Kind of glosses over where all the material comes
    from.

"Starmaker" by Olaf Stapledon - A history of intelligent life in the universe,
    with lots of macro-engineering towards the end, eg hollowing out crusts
    of dead stars.

"Titan","Wizard", and "Demon" by John Varley - Creatures a hundred
    kilometers across with habitable conditions inside and eccentric masters.

"Maker of Universes" by Philip Jose Farmer - Humanoid aliens make pocket
    universes as playgrounds.  Earth is one of them.  There are several
    books in this series, but this was the only title I could remember.
    "Riverworld" only counts as terraforming (not that digging a million
    mile long river is easy), not as real planet construction.

And finally let me mention "The New Cosmogony", a short story by Stanislaw
Lem (collected in "A Perfect Vacuum").  The trouble with all this cosmic
engineering is that we don't see it taking place.  Surely if re-arranging
stars were possible, some alien race would already be out there doing it.
Lem's answer is that the early civilizations have gone beyond that;
instead of manipulating crude matter they work with the stuff of physical
law itself.  Anomalies like quasars are past mistakes.  Asymmetries like
the spins of muon emission are problems that are not yet worked out.
The theory would be proved if we saw these wrinkles being ironed out.
And why aren't there any intermediate level civilizations?  Because the
big boys don't want anyone else to play.  It's time to start
shielding our TV broadcasts.

/jlr
   --------

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (07/16/84)

I am suprised that no one has mentioned Larry Niven's latest
"constructed world", from his book "Integral Trees".  This world
is very interesting, because it is not a world, per se, only a breathable
gas torus around a neutron star.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

lgondor@utcsrgv.UUCP (Les Gondor) (07/17/84)

How about Niven's fact article "Bigger than Worlds"?  This appeared in
an anthology of his (A Hole in Space? my memory fails me) some time ago
and described a variety of constructed worlds.  The Ringworld, by the way,
was only middle-sized by his reckoning (imagine a Dyson sphere around
a galactic core!).

On a smaller scale, there are A. Gilliland's Rosinante novels, where most
of the action takes place on O'Neill-type space habitats (munditos, in his
terminology).

Les Gondor, U of Toronto CSRI
{cornell,ihnp4,allegra,uw-beaver,decvax!utzoo}!utcsrgv!lgondor
"Strange women lying in ponds and distributing swords
is no basis for a system of government!"

Poskanzer.PA@XEROX.ARPA (07/17/84)

From:  Jef Poskanzer <Poskanzer.PA@XEROX.ARPA>

All the constructed worlds messages, though fairly repetitive, missed
one very good example: "Moonbow", by J. P. Boyd, a novelette in the May
1981 IASFM.  It was not a particularly good story, but the construction
was excellent.  Imagine a very thin donut about one-fifth as big as the
sun.  Specifically, it's got a major radius of 150,000 km, minor radius
of 1500 km, surface gravity 0.2 Gs, about 1 Barr of air pressure,
toroidal spin of 6 km/sec, and 16 times the surface area of Earth.

I call this type of object a torusworld.  At the time the story came
out, I was investigating them on my own, so the story got me pretty
excited.  One thing I like about torusworlds is that, unlike EVERY other
non-trivial constructed world in SF, you can build them with known
physical laws and without unreasonably strong materials.  Another thing
I like is the gravitational dynamics.  Boyd's story did not say much
about that aspect, but I can tell you they are pretty wild.  For
example, there is a helical orbit looping through the "hole"...

The best technical reference on torusworlds is "Hydrodynamics", by Sir
Horace Lamb, first published in 1878.  There is also a paper by Laplace,
published in 1780, looking into whether the rings of Saturn could be a
torusworld.

"Plus ca change..."
---
Jef

dave@garfield.UUCP (David Janes) (07/18/84)

[die hobbit!]

| From: VLSI%DEC-MARLBORO@sri-unix.UUCP
| Newgroups: net.sf-lovers
| Subject: constructed worlds
|
| From:  John Redford <VLSI at DEC-MARLBORO>
|
| Here are all the constructed worlds that I can think of, including the
| ones that have been mentioned already:

	(somewhat cut)
| "Ringworld" and "The Ringworld Engineers" by Larry Niven
| "Orbitsville" by Bob Shaw
| "The World is Round" by Tony Rothman
| "Wall Around a Star" by Jack Williamson and Fred Pohl
| "Strata" by Terry Pratchet
| "Cageworld" by Colin Kapp
| "Starmaker" by Olaf Stapledon
| "Titan","Wizard", and "Demon" by John Varley
| "Maker of Universes" by Philip Jose Farmer
|
| /jlr

You forgot Zelazny's Amber (+ shadows), which is a *lot* bigger than
anything else mentioned here (and might even include them.)

dave
-------
	- David Janes (Memorial University of Newfoundland)
	  {allegra, inhp4, utcsrgv}!garfield!dave

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (07/18/84)

[ I have this terrible pain in the diodes down my left side ]

Sorry to put a damper on this discussion, guys, but I don't think
planet-building will ever really catch on.  Remember the planet
builders of Magrathea?

I'm sooooooo depressed.

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
philabs!rdin!perl

duntemann.wbst@XEROX.ARPA (07/20/84)

Moonbow wasn't the first torusworld; that belongs to Larry Niven, from
PROTECTOR; it was called Kobold, and it had a miniplanet in the donut
hole if I recall.  I had trouble with Kobold; it didn't seem large
enough to have appreciable gravity.  On the other hand, the Protector who
built it (crazy Jack Brennan) had sufficient gadgetry to provide the
equivalent of artificial gravity, but I don't think Niven stated it
that p[lainly.  The best part of Protector is perhaps the snippet of
dialog I imprecisely quote here, between the man and the woman when
Brennan goes off and leaves them to wander freely on Kobold with the
warning, "Don't open any locked doors.  Remember Bluebeard."

[She]:  "What did he mean, 'Remember Bluebeard?'"
[Truesdale]:  "He meant, 'REALLY don't open any locked doors.'"

Not one person in ten understands the allusion; I myself only heard
the story at a boy scout campout at age 12.  I wonder if the Bluebeard
story is in print somewhere...

--Jeff Duntemann   duntemann.wbst@xerox   RF: KB2JN

PS:  At the risk of sounding wearisome, let me repeat:  Constructed as
in BUILT.  The Smoke Ring from Niven's INTEGRAL TREES
was a natural consequence of a peculiar stellar system.  Nobody went
out and put it together with a wrench.

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (07/27/84)

If we are restricted to 'Constructed as in BUILT' worlds, then Gaea
from Varley's Titan, Wizard and Demon doesn't count, as she(?) is
grown, not built -- the descendent of a long line of organisms.

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900