[sci.space] JPL Microbots

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (01/18/90)

	I remember reading that JPL was investigating the use of
microbots as planetary rovers (perhaps in conjuction with Rodney
Brooks' research group at MIT?).

	Does anyone have the names of the people involved or a
reference to any publications describing this work?

				Thanks,

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

kcarroll@utzoo.uucp (Kieran A. Carroll) (01/18/90)

> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
>
>         I remember reading that JPL was investigating the use of
> microbots as planetary rovers (perhaps in conjuction with Rodney
> Brooks' research group at MIT?).
>
>         Does anyone have the names of the people involved or a
> reference to any publications describing this work?

As it happens, yes I do. See

Jones, Ross M.; "Think Small - In Large Numbers";
Aerospace America; October 19, 1989; pp. 14-17

for an article on several types of microspacecraft, including
ones designed at JPL. And, if you're luucky enough to have access
to the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, see the October
1989 issue. It's a special "Small Mission Systems" issue, and contains
9 articles on microrobots and microspacecraft (award for the most
amusing title goes to Rodney Brooks and Anita Flynn, for "Fast, Cheap
and Out of Control: A Robot Invasion of the Solar System" in this
issue, about the microrobots developed at MIT's AI Lab).

--

     Kieran A. Carroll @ U of Toronto Aerospace Institute
     uunet!attcan!utzoo!kcarroll kcarroll@zoo.toronto.edu