[sci.space] booster pollution

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (01/16/90)

From article <1990Jan15.164939.29641@utzoo.uucp>, by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
> The main problem is that solid rockets put out all kinds of garbage, some
> of it with enough chlorine content to possibly be an ozone issue.

I read in the UK-based "Green Magazine" that every Shuttle launch causes
the eventual destruction of 1 million tonnes of atmospheric ozone due to
the chlorine compounds in the SRBs. Can anyone confirm or (hopefully)
deny this?

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

jdnicoll@watyew.waterloo.edu (Brian or James) (01/17/90)

 As well as the chlorine problem, I remember some concern about possible
side effects of NOx compounds produced by the boosters. I understand that
the exhaust of a (for example) hydrogen-oxygen fueled booster would be
primarily H2O, but would there be significant amounts of other compounds
produced, either from incomplete combustion of the fuel, or from chemical
reations caused by the admittedly transient presence of the several thousand
degree exhaust? Again, from my rather dim memory, I recall that there were
reports of large, temporary holes forming in the ozone layer. Since I
that Orion was designed in (Pre-atmospheric test ban), these extra cancer
deaths were felt to be acceptable (and probably difficult, if not flat
m possible to detect against the normal cancer death rate.). Maybe
France can use Orion:) . SF authors use nuclear drives in atmosphers with
cheerful abandon. I recall reading one were the viewpoint character says
something like "OK, we're over the 'burbs. Switch to photon drive." I
suspect the author has -no- idea just how much energy the 'thinly
populated' suburbs were about to receive. (As yet another aside,
would there have been any EMP side effects from Orion?)
							James Nicoll

jdnicoll@watyew.waterloo.edu (Brian or James) (01/17/90)

  *Sigh* Sorry about the previous posting. Some important sentences got
lost on the way to posting. Let's try this again...

	As well as the chlorine problem, I remember concern about possible
side-effects caused due to NOx compounds produced by boosters. While I
realise that the exhaust from a (for example) hydrogen-oxygen fueled booster
would primarily H2O, would there be significant amounts of other compounds
produced, either from incomplete combustion of the fuel, or chemical reactions
between atmospheric gasses caused by the admittedly transient presence of the
several thousand degree exhaust? Again, from my rather dim memory, I recall
reports of large, temporary holes in the ozone layer forming after launches.
I don't know if these reports were verified.
	Other, more energetic boosters could have some *really* interesting
side effects. Orion would have caused some additional cancer deaths if it had
ever been used as a launching system. Because of the environment Orion was
designed in (pre Atmospheric Test Ban USA), these additional deaths were
felt to be acceptable (and probably difficult, if not impossible, to
detect against the normal cancer rate.). Perhaps France can replace Arianne
with Orion :).
	SF authors use nuclear drives with a charming disregard for safety
(And often physics, as well.). I recall one author whose protagonist said
something akin to "OK, we're over the 'burbs. Turn on the photon drive."
I suspect the author had *no* idea just how much energy the 'thinly populated'
suburbs were about to receive. No wonder they were thinly populated!
	As yet another aside, would there have been any EMP related side
effects from Orion?
								James Nicoll

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (01/17/90)

In article <19846@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jdnicoll@watyew.waterloo.edu (Brian or James) writes:
>SF authors use nuclear drives in atmosphers with cheerful abandon.

I recall a Larry Niven story, where a fusion-drive ship is conveyed to
orbit by a thruster that was "... air compressed almost to degenerate
matter.  Using a fusion drive in the Earth's atmosphere was good for a
one-way trip to the Organ Banks -- in pieces."
--
Mike Van Pelt           I would like to electrocute everyone who uses the
Headland Technology     word 'fair' in connection with income tax policies.

dd2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Alexander Davis) (01/17/90)

Also, I heard someone mention a local problem
of heat pollution adversely affecting the ecology
of Cape Canaveral.  I do not know whether this
is true, my memory of where I heard it is too inexact.
Does anyone know?

Dan Davis (is), the Repunzel of the Mathematics Department.
Carnegie Mellon student
Disclaimer - don't look at me, I'm also a music major.

kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kim Flowers) (01/17/90)

Hey, what about all those HOH molecules them hydrogen-oxygen boosters
are spreading all over the place!  Could be a real problem... :)

mAd_QuArK!

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (01/18/90)

In article <13353@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Kim Flowers) writes:

>Hey, what about all those HOH molecules them hydrogen-oxygen boosters
>are spreading all over the place!  Could be a real problem... :)

Actually, they could be, if the launch rate is high enough (read:
much larger than now).  The upper stratosphere is extremely dry.
If we inject water there, it could form high altitude ice clouds,
especially in polar regions.  Such clouds cause net warming by
reflecting infrared radiation.  Also, ice clouds in the Antarctic
stratosphere are thought to play a part in the formation of
the ozone hole.

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

In article <0Zgv2xK00XcS4==Vhj@andrew.cmu.edu> dd2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Alexander Davis) writes:
>Also, I heard someone mention a local problem
>of heat pollution adversely affecting the ecology
>of Cape Canaveral...

Sounds very implausible.  A shuttle launch is maybe 20-30 gigawatts of power
for half a minute or so (it climbs quickly, remember).  Sunlight is roughly
a gigawatt per square kilometer, continuously.  Any effects from launches
would be transient and localized.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu