[sci.space] Commercial Titan/Intelsat Launch Failure

gwh@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (03/16/90)

Yesterdays attempted launch of a commercial Titan III with an Intelsat VI
comsat aboard apparently failed.  From sketchy reports, it looks like the
transfer stage did not seperate from the second stage, and the Intelsat VI
was stranded in LEO after being jettisoned from the second/kick stages after
the seperation failure.
	Reports [unconfirmed] stated that there was a loss of signal with the
	sattelite.
Additional reports from NORAD's space tracking people suggested that the
Intelsat was in a orbit that was stable for at least twelve days, and could be
stabilized further with the use of the onboard thrusters.

If anyone has better info that this please post it asap, as a large number of
people are interested...  thanks

-George William Herbert

gumbyltd@brahms.berkeley.edu (Dmitry Gokhman) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.033349.25657@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>Yesterdays attempted launch of a commercial Titan III with an Intelsat VI
>comsat aboard apparently failed.  From sketchy reports, it looks like the
>transfer stage did not seperate from the second stage, and the Intelsat VI
>was stranded in LEO after being jettisoned from the second/kick stages after
>the seperation failure.
>	Reports [unconfirmed] stated that there was a loss of signal with the
>	sattelite.
>Additional reports from NORAD's space tracking people suggested that the
>Intelsat was in a orbit that was stable for at least twelve days, and could be
>stabilized further with the use of the onboard thrusters.
>
>If anyone has better info that this please post it asap, as a large number of
>people are interested...  thanks
>
>-George William Herbert

From what I heard on the network news, the satellite was stranded but
stable (for longer than twelve days from the sound of it).  It is the
remaining stage(s) that are also in a similar orbit but with no means
of stabilization that is/are due to come down fairly soon hopefully
not on our heads.
- Mr. Gumby    * \oo7    Dmitry Gokhman
   says:        `/v/-*   Brahms Gang/University of Cauliflower/
MY BRAIN HURTS  J  L     Broccoli CA 94720