[net.sf-lovers] Message of 25-Jul-84 19:21:09

Mailer@SRI-KL.ARPA (07/31/84)

From:  The Mailer Daemon <Mailer@SRI-KL.ARPA>

Message undeliverable and dequeued after 5 days:
sf-lovers@RUTGERS.ARPA: Cannot connect to host.

	    ------------
Date: Wed 25 Jul 84 19:21:09-PDT
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: Book reveiw: "King Kobold Revived" by Christopher Stasheff
To: sf-lovers@RUTGERS.ARPA

Micro-reveiw: You shouldn't re-write the middle book of a trilogy.
		other than that, better than the original.

Reveiw:
This is a re-write of "king Kobold", the middle book of the "warlock
in spite of himself" trilogy.  I read the original (hard to find)
version, and it was really much worse than the other books, and as
such, I guess rewriting it was a good idea.  Unfortunately, some
of the major plot elements and twists from the original have been
changed completely.  This isn't so bad by itself, but now "Warlock
Unleashed" referrs back to events that never happened.  Oh well.
Basic plot summary: The good guys are being attacked by mean
nasty guys with powerful (even for gramarye!) evil-eye psychic
powers.  So our hero has to figure out who and why and how to
defeat them.  The book is much smoother than the original "king
kobold", and you wont be getting ripped off by buying both, but
it just doesn't fit in as well with the rest of the trilogy.

Speaking of Stasheff, in the prequel ("Escape velocity"), There
are a number of planets that might be interesting in the future.
One is Gramarye, one is the asteroid where Fess comes from, and
the third is the "prison planet" where the book opens.  Whatever
happened to that place?  Is it the topic of any other books?

BillW
-------
-------