BRYAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA (07/18/84)

From:  Doug Bryan <BRYAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

does anyone know the author and publisher of the novel
"The Princess Bride"??  I am having trouble finding it.

marcy-bacups

doug
-------

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (07/27/84)

> The difficultly in finding a copy is a result of  the  above,  it
> isn't  Goldman's, and it isn't Morgenstein's (sp?), It isn't sci-
> fi, nor strictly fantasy, Goldman is not a fantasy or  SF  author
> (he  also  did the screen-play for Butch Cassidy).  The result of
> all this confusion is that Booksellers don't know quite  what  to
> do with it.
>
> ism780!Geoffrey Kimbrough

Nonsense. Goldman's name is plastered all over the book, so booksellers file it
under Goldman's name. At least that's where *I've* always seen it. Sometimes I
see it in the sf/fantasy section, but usually in the "fiction" section.

I think you give booksellers more credit for brains than you should. These are
the idiots that constantly file collections of Asimov's essays in the science
fiction section, or do likewise with Von Daniken/Velikowsky type rubbish.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

geoff@ism780.UUCP (08/01/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-211400:ism780:14200011:000:1066
ism780!geoff    Jul 23 09:41:00 1984

[Kills bugs dead...]

>  does anyone know the author and publisher of the novel
>  "The Princess Bride"??  I am having trouble finding it.

William Goldman is the listed author of The Princess Bride -- but
he  credits the story to one S. Morgenstein (sp?). In chapter one
he tells the story of how he first  learned  of  the  book  as  a
child,  later finds that the story he was told was an abridgement
of the original, and decides to publish his own abridgement.  The
book is one of my favorites, EVERYONE should read it.

The difficultly in finding a copy is a result of  the  above,  it
isn't  Goldman's, and it isn't Morgenstein's (sp?), It isn't sci-
fi, nor strictly fantasy, Goldman is not a fantasy or  SF  author
(he  also  did the screen-play for Butch Cassidy).  The result of
all this confusion is that Booksellers don't know quite  what  to
do with it.

Good luck finding a copy. I envy anyone who hasn't read  it  yet,
'cause you're in for such a good time...

GET YOUR HANDS OFF THESE
OPINIONS, THEY'RE MINE... ALL MINE    ism780!Geoffrey Kimbrough

steven@ism70.UUCP (08/01/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-211400:ism70:10300004:000:232
ism70!steven    Jul 23 09:39:00 1984

<>

 The Princess Bride was written by William Goldman. Ballantine
 Books publishes it in paperback, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich in
 hardcover. Write in for the reunion scene and ask him when the
 hell Buttercup's Baby is coming out.