[sci.space] Atlantis has a leak like Columbia's

vac@sam.cs.cmu.edu (Vincent Cate) (06/30/90)

I was just watching NASA sellect and the tests this morning on
Atlantis have shown a leak so it will not be flying soon.
It seems they do not have spare "umbilicals" to connect
shuttles to tanks.  They took Endevour's for Columbia.
I think they said it would take over a year to make another
one.  Things look very bad.

   -- Vince

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (07/06/90)

In article <9772@pt.cs.cmu.edu> vac@sam.cs.cmu.edu (Vincent Cate) writes:
>I was just watching NASA sellect and the tests this morning on
>Atlantis have shown a leak so it will not be flying soon.
>It seems they do not have spare "umbilicals" to connect
>shuttles to tanks.  They took Endevour's for Columbia.
>I think they said it would take over a year to make another
>one.  Things look very bad.
>
>   -- Vince

Over a year???  Do they have some Joe Schmoe working on building
it with hand tools or something?  Jeez.  You can accomplish one
hell of a lot in a year, and making an umbilical to connect the
shuttle to the tank doesn't seem like it could possibly take that
long.
--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better
                                |  possible if we look ahead and steer..."

  I assume that while I was away someone noted that while there is a
leak, it's not like Columbia's at all. They are both hydrogen leaks, but
because they are not the same there is reason to conclude that there is
not a generic problem.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX