[sci.space] KSC & CCAFS visit tips ?

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (07/10/90)

From article <12488@june.cs.washington.edu>, by robertb@cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek):
> In article <2694cced-13asci.space.shuttle@vpnet.chi.il.us> topgun@vpnet.chi.il.us (robert white) writes:

>>    If you are a tourist who doesn't have connections like a
>>Steven Spielberg or media type who seem to get invited for a ring
>>side seat, what is the closest you can hope to get to watch a
>>shuttle launch?
I am going to see the CRRES (AC 69) launch from CCAFS next week. I have a few
questions for netters to help me get the most out of my pre-launch sightseeing.

1) Is there public transport from Cocoa Beach to KSC & how early should
I arrive at the visitor centre for the bus tours?

2) Can one still drive around CCAFS on a Sunday, as was possible in the
late 70s (I had a NASA/USAF self drive tour guidebook once)?

> Perhaps your best bet is to get a ride on a boat that goes up
> the Banana River to the edge of the Manatee preservation area.
> I saw a Titan 3 launch that way two weeks ago.

3) How does one get on these (presumably wrong end of Cape for an Atlas
Centaur launch anyway) ?

4) Any other hints and tips?

Nick

--
Dr. Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND