[sci.space] Software data on Apollo space program

jon@cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul17.123502.1639@IDA.ORG>, bryk@IDA.ORG (Bill Brykczynski) writes:
> Could anyone provide me with references to documents describing
> the Apollo space program from a software point of view?  Specifically,
> I am interested in the software testing approach used.  I have
> heard that the operational software was "brute force" tested,
> labor intensive, and expensive.  LOC, lifecycle cost breakdown,
> error rates, etc. would be useful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> bill brykczynski
> bryk@ida.org

I am aware of three references.  None of these provides the detail Bill asks,
but they may provide leads.  In particular, Ceruzzi's book has a lot of
references and a good bibliography.  (it isn't at hand at the moment so I can't
check now)

J.D. Aron, "Apollo programming support", pps. 181-186 in SOFTWARE ENGINEERING:
CONCEPTS AND TECHNIQUES ed. J.M. Buxton, Peter Naur, and Brian Randell,
Petrocelli/Charter 1976, New York.

This is actually a transcript of a brief talk and discussion at the 1969 NATO
Science Committee Meeting on Software Engineering in Rome.  Aron appears to
be talking about the ground support system, not the flight system.  He mentions
that the project ranged from 300 to 600 people at the Houston site, at the
peak about half were programmers and half were administrators and support.

There is a lot of interesting history and anecdote in this book.  It also
contains material from the first NATO conference at Garmisch in 1968, generally
regarded as the first ever meeting on software engineering, I think they
originated the term for that occassion.    There are other versions of the
proceedings of those conferences than the Buxton et al book.

Joseph M. Fox, SOFTWARE AND ITS DEVELOPMENT, Prentice-Hall, 1982.  Fox was
a top manager at IBM Federal Systems Group involved in the
Apollo/Skylab effort.  He says it occupied 700 people for 7 years at Houston
(p. xiii); the contract was valued at $209 million, generated 23 million
instructions, and consumed 6,000+ man years (Table 4-10, p. 67).

Also I find a graph in Norman R. Augustine's AUGUSTINE'S LAWS, Viking 1986
(Fig. 23, p. 117) which Augustine credits to Barry Boehm (it's probably in
Boehm's SOFTWARE ENGINEERING ECONOMICS).  It seems to show Apollo 7 carrying
about 50,000 bytes and Apollo 11 carrying about 80,000 (this sounds too high
for the onboard computers of that time to me) and about 5 million lines
of ground support software for Apollo.  Quite a different figure from Fox.

The latest reference is Paul Ceruzzi's BEYOND THE LIMITS: FLIGHT ENTERS THE
COMPUTER AGE, MIT Press, 1989.  Highly recommended. As noted above, the
references therein may help you.

I've cross-posted this reply to sci.space.   I, too, would be interested to
learn more about this.

- Jon Jacky, University of Washington, Seattle jon@gaffer.rad.washington.edu

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (07/21/90)

Who has last winter's USENIX procedings? A NASA bigwig was the keynote
speaker there, and he had lots to say on the subject.

-Mike

In article <9778@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) writes:
>Who has last winter's USENIX procedings? A NASA bigwig was the keynote
>speaker there, and he had lots to say on the subject.

Keynote speeches almost never end up in published proceedings, and this
one was no exception.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (07/23/90)

[Note Followup-To: above.  Just a hint.]

In article Mike <9778@hubcap.clemson.edu> (System Janitor) writes:
>Who has last winter's USENIX procedings? A NASA bigwig was the keynote
>speaker there, and he had lots to say on the subject [of the software used
>on the Apollo space program].

Too true.  Entertaining, as well, although the material gave the impression
of having been trotted out in front of many audiences before it reached the
assembled hackers of USENIX.  The speaker was Jim Tomayko, Software
Engineering Institute, CMU.  Sadly, one of the things that makes keynotes
different from the rest of a conference is that they don't get written up
in the proceedings, so there's no point in asking.  And I'm pretty sure
that USENIX (unlike, say, UniForum) doesn't publish conference tapes, so
you can't order up a cassette and listen to it as you drive to the spaceport
(or whatever).
--
Dominic Dunlop