[sci.space] Shuttle Enterprise

kennii@wybbs.mi.org (Kenn Booth II) (07/31/90)

I have one simple question (to which I'll probably get a not-so-simple
reply, which is what I'm looking for :) ).

Why was the Enterprise never launched into space?

   ___                    _ _ _
  (   >                  ' ) ) )         _/_
   __/___.  __.  __.      / / / __.  _   /  _  __
  / / (_/|_/  |_/  |_    / ' (_(_/|_/_)_<__</_/ (_
 <_/         (|   (|

      "All stressed out and nobody to choke."

      Kenn Booth II -- Micro-Data Consultants
               [kennii@wybbs.mi.org]
         [..!mailrus!sharkey!wybbs!kennii]

In article <307@wybbs.mi.org> kennii@wybbs.mi.org (Kenn Booth II) writes:
>Why was the Enterprise never launched into space?

Because by the time the matter came up, it was too far overweight and
underspec compared to the "production" orbiters.  Officially, at least,
the original intent was to refit it for spaceflight, but in the end it
was considered more practical to build another orbiter using the
structural-test airframe instead... which is why Enterprise has an OV
number in the "real orbiter" OV-10x sequence while Challenger was OV-099.

One hears tales that insiders gave up on the Enterprise refit very early,
but it definitely was the official plan for a while, despite some folks
nowadays who claim that Enterprise was never meant for spaceflight.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/02/90)

In article <307@wybbs.mi.org> kennii@wybbs.mi.org (Kenn Booth II) writes:
>I have one simple question (to which I'll probably get a not-so-simple
>reply, which is what I'm looking for :) ).
>
>Why was the Enterprise never launched into space?

Because it wasn't designed to. Was used for gliding tests. The frame is
heavier and slightly warped anyway. Too much cost to update it for the
little return.

Peter Jarvis...

LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (08/04/90)

     Just some information on the shuttle fleet.

     First built (But not first finished) was OV-099, Challemnger.  Purpose:
Original airframe built as a test article.  It was later modified and finished
as a flight vehicle after OV-102, Columbia was in use.

     Second built was OV-101, Enterprise.  (NOTE: I don't know if OV-100 exists
or not.)  It was built as a test vehicle and used for landing tests in 1977.

     Third built and first to go into space was OV-102, Columbia.  Launch was
back on April 12, 1981; after numerous delays.

     Fourth built was OV-103, Discovery.  It was completed with the knowledge
gained from the first three shuttles.

     Fifth built was OV-104, Atlantis.  It too profits from the development
of the first three shuttles.

     Sixth to be built is Endeavor, which I assume (Forgive me!) will be OV-105
since it is the next in line.

     Most of the above information was from THE SPACE SHUTTLE OPERATOR'S MANUAL
 on page 1.9.  From other sources of information I have read, the Enterprise
 was originally built with the intention of being a flight vehicle.  But after
 the landing tests were done, it was found the the modifications neededto make
 it flight-worthywould be too involved to make it worth while.  So Enterprise
is used in other ways not ment for space.

     Many STAR TREK fans who signed numerous petitions to get the first flying
 shuttle to be named Enterprise were a little dissapointed after this news went
 public.

     One question I would have for anyone out there is:

What is Enterprise exactly being used for right now?  Is it a ground
model for information while other flights are up, a training vehicle, or
just a display?

J.E. Labrie
GE/CRD
Schenectady, New York
======================

All points expressed above are mine.  (GE dosen't own that much of me)

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (08/04/90)

In article <90215.173615LABRIE@GECRDVM1.BITNET> LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>     Second built was OV-101, Enterprise.  (NOTE: I don't know if OV-100 exists
>or not.)  It was built as a test vehicle and used for landing tests in 1977.

I believe OV-100 is a little-known vehicle named Pathfinder, currently on
display in Huntsville.  I won't swear to this, though...anyone know for certain?

>     One question I would have for anyone out there is:

>What is Enterprise exactly being used for right now?  Is it a ground
>model for information while other flights are up, a training vehicle, or
>just a display?

Just a display.  I know it was at the 1984 World's Fair, in New Orleans, and
in 1986 was at Dulles International Airport, in Washington, where it will
eventually be put on display, with other vehicles, in an annex to the
Smithsonian Air and Space museum.  I assume it's still there, probably parked
by the SR-71...

--
Matthew DeLuca
Georgia Institute of Technology      Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,

In article <90215.173615LABRIE@GECRDVM1.BITNET> LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
>What is Enterprise exactly being used for right now?  Is it a ground
>model for information while other flights are up, a training vehicle, or
>just a display?

It was used for various things, but it now belongs to the Smithsonian
(specifically, the Air&Space Museum).  NASA still uses it from time to
time; the last thing I specifically recall was some tests of a barrier
system to stop an orbiter with brake problems from running off the end
of the KSC (etc) runway.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (08/06/90)

In article <90215.173615LABRIE@GECRDVM1.BITNET> LABRIE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:

>     One question I would have for anyone out there is:
>What is Enterprise exactly being used for right now?  Is it a ground
>model for information while other flights are up, a training vehicle, or
>just a display?

As far as I know, the Enterprise is for display only. I believe it is
parked somewhere at Dulles airport, Washington, D.C.
By-the-way, there was one other Shuttle built (the first one, I believe)
used for fitting and tooling purposes. It is called Pathfinder and is
on display, attached to an ET and SRB's, at the Space and Rocket Center
in Huntsville, Alabama.
Peter Jarvis.........

cwalters@ducvax.auburn.edu (Christian Walters) (08/06/90)

In article <3210@phred.UUCP>, petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes...
>By-the-way, there was one other Shuttle built (the first one, I believe)
>used for fitting and tooling purposes. It is called Pathfinder and is
>on display, attached to an ET and SRB's, at the Space and Rocket Center
>in Huntsville, Alabama.
>Peter Jarvis.........

Peter's right. There it sits at the ASRC. Didn't know it was the first one,
though. I thought it was just a big wind-tunnel model.

After working at the Space and Rocket Center for two years, though,
you can get kinda sick of looking at the thing (esp. before the SRBs were
painted white. They had green stripes for a long time.) It was great
as far as getting irritating Space Campers off your back - telling them to
go to the base of the thing and wait in line for the shuttle rides :)

Christian