[sci.space] space news from Aug 20 AW&ST

[Okay, I guess we can take it that the Canadian Post Orifice has definitely
eaten my copy of the Aug 13 issue of AvLeak, so there will be no summary of
it.  Stay tuned to see whether McGraw-Hill manages to foul up the renewal
of my subscription yet again... they've only had my cheque for three months
now...]

Orbital Sciences reports its financial position improving, with revenues
rising steadily and breakeven imminent.

NASDA postpones launch of the BS-3A broadcast satellite at least three
weeks due to a helium leak in ground-support equipment at Tanegashima.

Soviets press for more cooperative programs, citing tight budgets at home.
One project that they are studying themselves is a reusable manned spacecraft
to replace the rather old Soyuz.

First new science results from Hubble:  WF/PC image of star cluster in
the Large Magellanic Cloud shows considerably more detail than best
Earth-based images (pictures included for proof), and the situation
improves still further with computerized image enhancement.  This
cluster was a good target because it is bright; there is little hope
for successful image enhancement of dim objects, and even the bright
ones will need longer exposures than with correct optics.

Magellan enters Venus orbit Aug 10, checkout underway.  [This was before
Magellan acted up.]  Discussion of plans for Magellan after its 243-day
[1 Venus year] primary mission ends.  Objectives for the second and third
"cycles" are fairly well-established:  the second will fill the various
gaps in the first's coverage [caused by, e.g., the Sun getting between
Earth and Venus] and will start mapping of the south polar region (not
covered at all by the first cycle), while the third will fill remaining
gaps, improve south polar coverage, and study the detailed structure of
Venus's gravitational field by transmitting a beacon signal to the Deep
Space Network for precision tracking on some orbits.  There are a number
of ideas for later cycles:

- Remapping interesting areas at a consistent side-look angle, to give
	similar features similar appearance; the initial mapping campaign
	varies the side-look angle continuously due to varying orbital
	altitude during each pass.

- Remapping interesting areas while looking forward or aft along the
	ground track, to give better contrast on linear features that
	are perpendicular to the track.

- Stereo imaging by mapping interesting areas from more than one angle.

- Remapping possibly-active areas to look for changes.

- Rolling the spacecraft around its antenna axis to view the planet at
	different polarization angles.

- Viewing the same area from slightly different orbits to set up a
	"baseline" for interferometry, which might make it possible to
	compare phase shifts in the returned signals and do altitude
	measurement to millimeter resolution.  This might suffice to
	detect tectonic movements.

- Aerobraking [!] to bring Magellan down to a 300km circular orbit,
	giving higher mapping resolution and better gravity measurements.
	This will be a dicey procedure because Magellan was not designed
	for it, and there are also possible thermal problems with the
	lower orbit (since there is a lot of reflected sunlight from
	Venus's clouds).  Aerobraking will not be tried until everything
	else of major interest has been done, meaning the fourth or
	fifth cycle at the earliest.

Magellan is experiencing various minor problems [some of which may have
contributed to the later troubles] but is basically healthy.  The solid
injection motor behaved perfectly, and fuel consumption for attitude
control during the injection burn was lower than expected.  Magellan's
fuel supply should suffice for 10 years or more [well, this will be
revised downward a bit because of some of the gymnastics during the
troubles].  The Pioneer Venus orbiter tried to photograph the injection
burn using its ultraviolet polarimeter, but the rocket plume wasn't
bright enough to be visible.

China launches first Long March 2E, the heavy-lift configuration that
will be used for the Aussats.  Payload was a small Pakistani research
satellite and a "simulated satellite" believed to have been mostly
ballast to simulate an Aussat launch.

Picture of shuttle orbiters passing in the night :-), as Columbia rolls
out the pad past Atlantis, parked outside waiting for Columbia to clear
a VAB bay.  Atlantis suffered minor tile damage due to a hailstorm during
the wait, but it should be possible to re-glaze the affected tiles without
removing them.

Japan's Insitute of Space and Astronautical Science decides to initiate
development of an Atlas-class booster for science payloads.  This will
be a further upgrade of ISAS's current M-3S-2 solid booster, a design
which has already had many incremental updates [and is now somewhere
in between Scout and Atlas in capacity].  First flight 1994, carrying
a spacecraft for VLBI radio astronomy.  Launches will continue to be
from Kagoshima.

ISAS is planning several other astronomy and geophysics missions meanwhile,
and is looking at using the M-5 for Mars/Venus orbiters and a lunar mission
carrying several penetrators.  The long-term plan is to develop a series
of M-5-launched spacecraft, so that each major space-science discipline
will have a mission every five or six years.  [Resemblance of this to the
Solar System Exploration Committee's "Planetary Observer" series, largely
dead at the hands of NASA and Congress, is probably not accidental...  It
looks like the Japanese recognize a good idea when they see one.]  Early
development work for the lunar penetrators is already underway; three of
them would be launched from a lunar orbiter.

The Muses-A mission required some emergency revisions after an unexpected
error in final velocity from the M-3S-2, which put the orbit rather short
of the Moon.  (The error was only about 50 m/s, but that's a lot out there.)
The Hiten mother craft expended a fair bit of its control fuel fixing the
orbit.  A further problem appeared when it became clear that the Hagoromo
lunar-orbiter subsatellite had experienced a transmitter failure before
separation; lunar-orbit injection was confirmed instead by infrared
photography (from two ground sites) of its rocket plume.  Hiten has since
made another lunar flyby, and will make several more before its mission
ends; its primary purpose is to give Japanese engineers practice in such
maneuvers.

Major joint project in Japan (three government agencies and thirteen
companies) is near completion of development on a reusable spacecraft
meant to carry technological experiments up for long stays in low
orbit.  It will be launched by the third H-2, and recovered by a US
shuttle mission six months later, on its first mission.  (There are
doubts being raised about later flights, given the high cost of more
H-2 launches.)  Experiments on the initial flight include various
materials-processing packages, a large-space-structure deployment test,
an infrared astronomical telescope, and a flight test of a magneto-
plasma-dynamic thruster for possible use on future spacecraft.

Several other articles on Japanese aerospace activity, long on detail
and light on interest.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

leech@bodie.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct9.062710.24278@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>- Aerobraking [!] to bring Magellan down to a 300km circular orbit,

    Aerobraking was part of the predecessor VOIR (Venus
Orbiting-Imaging Radar) proposal, however.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    "The imaging team is moving from its ``instant science'' mode to

friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) (10/12/90)

In Henry's AvLeak summary:

> The Pioneer Venus orbiter tried to photograph [Magellan's] injection
> burn using its ultraviolet polarimeter, but the rocket plume wasn't
> bright enough to be visible.

If NASA had decided that photographing this was important, would they
have been able to arrange the insertion so that Pioneer was close enough
to *surely* get the picture?  Or are they in such different orbits that
this was just not possible?

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"No job is too big, no fee is too big" - Gary W. Keefe