[sci.space] Some interesting SSME specifications.

matt@frisbee.UUCP (Matt Taylor) (10/09/90)

One of our mechanical engineers used to be on the SSME team at
Rocketdyne and has a lot of PR memos which he brings in from time to
time.  Although somewhat dated (1977 he says), I thought it to be of
enough interest to post.  (All grammar/spelling mistakes are mine).

[ On a related note, wasn't there supposed to be a beefed up
version of the current SSME due to be incorporated into the shuttle
sometime soon? ]

                      DID YOU KNOW???

The Rocketdyne Space Shuttle Main Engine operates at greater
temperature  extremes  than  any mechanical system in common
use today.  The fuel, liquified hydrogen at -423 F,  is  the
second  coldest  liquid  on earth.  When the liquid hydrogen
and liquid oxygen are combusted, the temperature in the main
combustion  chamber is 6000 F, higher than the boiling point
of iron.

                         * * * * *

Even though  the  complete  Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main
Engine  weighs  one-seventh  as  much as one railroad diesel
engine, the SSME high pressure fuel pump  delivers  as  much
horsepower  as 28 diesel locomotives while the high pressure
oxidizer pump delivers enough power for 11 more.

                         * * * * *

The energy released by the three  Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle
Main  Engines  at  full  power  level, in units of watts, is
equivalent to the output of 23 Hoover Dams.

                         * * * * *

If water were pumped at the rate fuel is pumped by the three
Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines, an average family-
size swimming pool could be emptied  in  25  seconds.   This
pump develops a pressure equal to that experienced by a sub-
marine if it were three miles deep.

                         * * * * *

The Rocketdyne Space  Shuttle  Main  Engine  fuel  turbopump
weighs  approximately the same as the V-8 engine of a modern
automobile but develops 310 times the brake horsepower.

                         * * * * *

The Rocketdyne Space  Shuttle  Main  Engine  fuel  turbopump
develops as much torque as 18 V-8 automobile engines.

                         * * * * *

If one Rocketdyne Space Shuttle Main Engine could be  scaled
down  so  that  it  weighed less than three pounds, it could
develop enough thrust to lift a grown man.

                         * * * * *

The combine full power level horsepower of the high pressure
fuel  and oxidizer pumps of only two of the three Rocketdyne
Space Shuttle Main Engines that will propel the Space  Shut-
tle  is  more  than  adequate to operate a 91,700 ton-Nimitz
class aircraft carrier at cruising speed.

                         * * * * *

The fuel and oxidizer pumps of the  three  Rocketdyne  Space
Shuttle  Main  Engines  at full power level could propel the
battleship Iowa and have enough power left over to cruise an
additional 12 Ethan Allen class submarines.  The engines are
designed to supply this power for almost four hours  without
overhaul if enough propellant were supplied.

                         * * * * *

One Rocketdyne Space Shuttle Main  Engine  generates  suffi-
cient  thrust  to  maintain  the  flight of two and one-half
747s, the aircraft being used for Shuttle captive tests  and
scheduled for use in ferry operations.

                         * * * * *

The combustion of the propellants of  the  three  Rocketdyne
Space  Shuttle Main Engines operating at full power releases
energy at a rate greater than that produced by the  combined
foreign nuclear power plants in nine countries.

                         * * * * *

The power developed by the combustions or propellants in the
Rocketdyne Space Shuttle Main Engine operating at full power
is almost five times the rate of that  to  be  generated  by
seven nuclear plants being activated in the United States in
1977.
Matt Taylor @ Maximum Storage, Inc.    	A haven for WORMs.
Colorado Springs, CO.  719-531-6888
{cbosgd,handel,hao,hplabs}!hp-lsd!frisbee!matt

In article <344@frisbee.UUCP> matt@frisbee.UUCP (Matt Taylor) writes:
>[ On a related note, wasn't there supposed to be a beefed up
>version of the current SSME due to be incorporated into the shuttle
>sometime soon? ]

There is work in progress on a new "powerhead" -- pumps, valves, and
injectors -- for the SSMEs, but it's still some ways from completion,
and there is no firm plan to actually use it for flight.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

cage@fmeed1.UUCP (Russ Cage) (10/26/90)

Anybody else notice that said propaganda sheet didn't have
a single hard number in it?  It was all in battleship-powers
or 747-thrusts or....
--
Russ Cage	Ford Powertrain Engineering Development Department
Work:  itivax.iti.org!cfctech!fmeed1!cage   (CHATTY MAIL NOT ANSWERED HERE)

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (10/27/90)

So, what would the velocity vector be after four hours of 100% thrust on the
SSME's?

Zeitgeist Busters!

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!schaper@nosc.mil
INET: schaper@pnet51.cts.com

In article <3382@orbit.cts.com> schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) writes:
>So, what would the velocity vector be after four hours of 100% thrust on the
>SSME's?

It would be whatever it was when the first one exploded, which would be
long before four hours.

The world's most durable rocket motor I know of, the RL-10, is rated to
fire for somewhat over one hour without maintenance.  This is a design
nearly 30 years old, with vast flight experience and no particular attempt
to push technology.  The SSME is nowhere near as dependable.

This sets aside the question of where you're going to find four hours of
fuel...
--

msissom@digi.lonestar.org (Marc Sissom) (11/02/90)

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

>Rocketdyne  Space  Shuttle  Main Engines...

Come on Matt, a little editing Please!

Maybe RSSME, just SSME, Tpump, fuel pump, 02 pump...