boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/24/84)

From:  boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

>   I have fond but very vague memories of a series of stories from a
> couple of decades ago, about an inventor who did his best work while
> drunk and the robot he invented while in said state, whose primary
> purpose was to be a beer-can opener.  The inventor's name may have
> been Gallagher and the robot's Joe; I do remember that beer cans had
> just been replaced by "plasti-bulbs," rendering the robot obsolete
> as well as silly.
>
>  Can anyone give me a pointer to these stories?  Thanks.
>              -- Bob Munck  (MUNCK@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA)

I believe you're thinking of the "Galloway Gallegher" stories by Henry Kuttner
(originally published in ASTOUNDING SCIENCE FICTION under the pseudonym Lewis
Padgett). The only collection of those stories, ROBOTS HAVE NO TAILS, is long
out of print, but you might find a copy in a good used bookstore. You might find
some of the stories in other collections of Kuttner's, too. Give a day or so,
and I'll have a bibliography for you.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my Business">

Alfke.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (07/25/84)

This message is empty.

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/26/84)

[]
Yes, those were hum-dingers allright, but your off by an order
of (binary) magnitude - try 4 decades. These were stories of the
forties in big A. I have only read them in books. Now, the author
was...one of the few who are able to write truly funny science
fiction. Of course that could be non other than  ... uh,well,uh
(early Altzheimers, you see) ...ah ... Pratt? My books are at home.
You tell him, guys!   Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

barto@celerity.UUCP (08/03/84)

	From sdccs6!sdcsvax!akgua!whuxle!spuxll!abnjh!u1100a!pyuxn!pyuxww!gamma!ulysses!mhuxl!houxm!houxz!vax135!cornell!uw-beaver!tektronix!hplabs!sri-unix!Alfke.pasa@XEROX.ARPA Tue Jul 24 19:23:00 1984
	From: Alfke.pasa@XEROX.ARPA
	Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
	Subject: Re: Robotic Can Opener
	Date: Tue, 24-Jul-84 19:23:00 PDT

TRASHED article along this path.

I KNOW sdcsvax and sdccs6 have the bug fixed.

Lets get this one...

--
	barto (david barto)	Tele : (619) 271 9940
	uucp : {decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4}!sdcsvax!celerity!barto