[sci.space] Spell u-l-y-s-s-e-s

c8921212@frey.nu.oz.au (Luke Plaizier) (11/01/90)

	Recent speculation has arisen as to the pronunciation of
Ulysses. I have grown up and am used to:-
	You - liss - seas.

	I have heard that it has been pronunciated very differently by
the JPL program managers as:-
	Youleses.

	I have also heard people said:-

	You'll - e - ses.

	Is there a correct way and/or a preferred way to say this word?

	TTFN - Luke.

sla@helios.ucsc.edu (Steve Allen) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Nov1.023503.18670@frey.nu.oz.au> c8921212@frey.nu.oz.au (Luke Plaizier) writes:
>       Recent speculation has arisen as to the pronunciation of
>Ulysses.
>       Is there a correct way and/or a preferred way to say this word?
>       TTFN - Luke.

According to Webster, the correct way to say it is

			o.dis'us  or  o.dis'e.us

Steve Allen
sla@helios.ucsc.edu

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (11/02/90)

They probrably should have named the ship Odysseus, everyone can pronounce
that, but then again I'm not paying for it, so...