[sci.space] HLV Designs

serre@boulder.Colorado.EDU (SERRE GLENN) (11/05/90)

In article <1469.27304918@ofa123.fidonet.org> Charles.Radley@f2505.n206.z1.fidonet.org (Charles Radley) writes:
>From: ghudson
>Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 21:24:34 EST
>To: cradley
>Any "HLV" will require new engines, built from scratch.  This is

Actually, this is not quite true.  The following are two options for a Titan IV
upgrade to "HLV" (if you mean ~100K pounds when you say "HLV").

1)  Raise core diameter to ~14 feet (from 10 feet) to provide twice the volume.
    Supply Stages I and II with twice the current number of engines, the same
    engines as are currently flying ( makes 4 for Stage I, 2 for Stage II. ).
    Put 4 SRMs around Stage I (Salt to taste :-) and launch.

2)  Develop LRBs for Titan (They would be stretched 14 foot diameter cores with
    4 engines each and cross-feed to Stage I, which would burn in parallel with
    the LRBs.)
    Substitute LRBs for the SRMs in option 1) (No added salt :-) and launch.

Note that neither of these options require new engines, and that option 2) uses
engines that been flying since the first Titan II was launched.

A further option, one that I would like to see, is to strap two Titan IVs
together ( a la the Delta HLV proposal), build an payload adapter for the top,
and launch.

--Glenn Serre
serre@tramp.colorado.edu

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/06/90)

Memo #58733
From: ghudson
Date: Sun,  4 Nov 90 21:46:39 EST
To: cradley
Subject:  Reply to your comments

Thanks for your mail.  I don't much care for heavy-lift
vehicles since "lift" is not our problem: access to space
is.  We must learn to walk before we run: only a smaller
vehicle like Phoenix can do this economically.

I also like to remind people that the Berlin airlift was
conducted with aircraft which had about the same cargo lift
capacity as the Phoenix...