[sci.space] Ulysses speeding up rel. to the sun

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov2.173226.19955@cbnewsl.att.com>, sw@cbnewsl (Stuart Warmink) writes:

>I assumed that velocity w.r.t. to Sun meant *away* from the Sun.

No, I think it means as measured from the Sun's frame of reference.  Earth has
a velocity w.r.t. the Sun of about 66000 mph.  Ulysses' speed w.r.t. the Sun
immediately after launch did look like that velocity added to 30000mph plus,
which is what you would have expected the result to be.  I still have seen no
explanation of how Ulysses gained velocity in the period after the boost, but
I'm almost certain it didn't, and that there was an error in one of the
velocity reports.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

davew@sputnik.mit.edu (dave warkentin) (11/07/90)

In article <883@ksr.com>, clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) writes:
 > In article <1990Nov2.173226.19955@cbnewsl.att.com>, sw@cbnewsl
(Stuart Warmink) writes:

 > >I assumed that velocity w.r.t. to Sun meant *away* from the Sun.
 >
 > No, I think it means as measured from the Sun's frame of reference.
Earth has
 > a velocity w.r.t. the Sun of about 66000 mph.  Ulysses' speed w.r.t.
the Sun
 > immediately after launch did look like that velocity added to
30000mph plus,
 > which is what you would have expected the result to be.  I still have
seen no
 > explanation of how Ulysses gained velocity in the period after the
boost, but
 > I'm almost certain it didn't, and that there was an error in one of
the
 > velocity reports.
 > --
 > Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

-------------------------------------

I doubt it was merely a numerical reporting error, since I seem to
recall a specific statement about the speeding up in one of the updates
(sorry, I can't refer to the exact message.)  At the risk of wasting
bandwidth, I'm reposting a followup to an earlier comment on the
peculiarities of Ulysses's orbit (I suspect the followup wasn't properly
transmitted due to server problems):

-------------------------------------

In article <484@hal.CSS.GOV>, stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters)
writes:
 > sw@cbnewsl.att.com (Stuart Warmink) writes:
 >
 > >Assume that Ulysses was boosted out of Earth orbit in such a
direction
 > >that it was originally at a tangent to the Earth's orbit - not an
 > >unusual direction for a boost to the outer planets. If started of in
such
 > >a direction its velocity w.r.t. the Sun would be 0. As Ulysses
gained
 >                                                  ^^^
 > ...not unless it were launched directly against the earth's orbital
velocity
 > at the earth's orbital speed...Ulysses, upon leaving earth's orbit,
was almost
 > certainly moving close to the earth's orbital velocity (about 18.5
mi/sec,
 > I think) relative to the sun.
 >
 > This doesn't explain an increase in sun-relative speed...are we sure
there isn't
 > a typo?  Unless there is a gravity assist from Venus, there is no
way
to get
 > to Jupiter by dropping closer to the sun (I don't think, anyway :) )
 >
 > Steve Masters    stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
 > ENSCO, Inc.
 > Melbourne, FL  32940  USA

I too was puzzled by Ulysses's increase in speed, so I performed a few
calculations to see if I couldn't come up with an answer (in the
absence
of more authoritative pronouncements :-).  First of all, the most
obvious transfer orbit from Earth to Jupiter is the ever-popular
Hohmann
transfer - the 1/2 ellipse which is tangent to Earth's orbit at
perihelion and to Jupiter's at aphelion.  Event schedules have been
posted for Ulysses which give the launch date as 10/6/90 and the
Jupiter
encounter date as 2/8/92 for a time of flight of 490 days.  The TOF (in
years) in the Hohmann orbit, though, is .5*(a^1.5), where a is the
semi-major axis in AU.  Jupiter averages 5.2 AU and Earth about 1 AU,
so
a for the transfer would be .5*(1+5.2)=3.1 and the TOF is 2.73 years,
or
997 days! Clearly the Hohmann transfer is not being used.  Presumably
the mission planners wanted to a) shorten the flight time and b) have
more speed for the Jupiter gravity assist, so they launched from Earth
with a velocity greater than that needed for the Hohmann.

It still seems reasonable to assume (as Stuart did above) that Ulysses
leaves on a path tangent to Earth's orbit, in order to take fullest
advantage of Earth's orbital velocity.  So now we need to find an orbit
which leaves Earth on a certain date tangent to Earth's orbit and which
arrives at Jupiter on another specified date.  According to my
home-made
ephemeris program, Earth was 1.000 AU from the Sun at launch and
Jupiter
will be 5.401 AU from the Sun at encounter, and the angle between these
two points is 145.2 degrees (just using heliocentric longitude and
ignoring Jupiter's latitude at encounter, which I think is about 1
degree).

It turns out, though, that a Keplerian orbit satisfying all these
conditions does not exist!  The one which connects these two points and
is tangent to Earth's orbit takes 558 days.  Assuming no really major
mid-course corrections, we have to through out the assumption that the
departure is tangent to Earth's orbit.  After some trial and error, I
found that if you assume that Ulysses actually does move closer to the
Sun before heading out to Jupiter, you can make the transfer orbit
satisfy the conditions.  This means transfer orbit perihelion doesn't
occur at launch, but some 6.24 days (8.445 degrees true anomaly)
_after_
launch, and so at first speeds up with respect to the Sun before moving
away and slowing down. Using this assumption, I find that Ulysses
reaches Jupiter with enough energy to perform a hyperbolic fly-by
gravity assist maneuver to redirect its velocity vector so than as it
leaves Jupiter's sphere of influence it can be in an orbit with
aphelion
at 5.401 AU, perihelion at 1.374 AU, a period of 6.235 years, and an
inclination to the ecliptic plane of 83 degrees.  This looks fairly
good, since previous postings have mentioned a perihelion of 1.4 AU
(signif. digit?) on 2/5/95 (period of just under 6 years).

A couple of questions remain.  First of all, why didn't they launch
tangent to Earth's orbit?  My tentative answer - that was the nominal
trajectory, but it just so happened that they got it off in the first
half of the launch window, so they adjusted injection conditions so as
not to throw everything else off schedule.  Sky and Telescope (Nov.
'90,
p.498) mentions a 19-day launch window starting on Oct. 5, so the
mid-point would have been Oct. 14-15.  Thus it could well be that they
launched a few days early, thus producing the 6.2 day time to
perihelion.

More importantly - why didn't they put it in a higher inclination?
Perihelion of the solar orbit is 1.4 (maybe 1.374) AU - why didn't they
trade some of that energy to reach a higher angle?

And perhaps most important of all - what does this imply for the
question of when Ulysses was closest to the Sun?  Unfortunately, not
much - I calculate the perihelion distance of the transfer orbit to be
.9949 AU, as opposed to the Earth's .9836, so it was still closer to
the
Sun on Earth than it ever was/will be in orbit.

(N.B. It occurs to me that in the above arguments about the transfer
not
being tangent to Earth's orbit I haven't taken Earth's non-zero flight
path angle into account, but I believe this effect is minor and doesn't
substantially affect the calculations.

A good reference for would-be space cadets:
  Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller, and White : ISBN
0-486-60061-0
It is (or was) the USAF Academy textbook on the subject.  It's a Dover
publication, and cost me $5.50 about 10-12 years ago, so it probably
costs a bit more now.)

For those who actually read this far, thanks for letting me put my $.02
in.  Maybe someone with more info can correct/supplement these wild
computations.

--
Dave Warkentin
davew@sputnik.mit.edu