[sci.space] Profit from space?

LMASSONN@ESOC.BITNET (11/08/90)

Date: 07 November 1990, 09:53:36 CET
From: Lutz Massonne             +49 6151 90 2027     LMASSONN at ESOC
To:   SPACE@ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Subject: Profit from Space?

Some recent posters stated that the main goal of a Space Agency should
be earning profilts from space development.
This may be only indirectly correct.
I don't know about NASA, but ESA is not able to gain any profit by its
constitution.
The purpose of ESA is to develop space technologies and to perform scientific
research (and to benefit European industry :-) ).
As soon as any field of ESA's activity get profitable, it has to be
taken out of ESA and handed over to industry or other organisations.
This happened with Ariane (which is now marketed by Arianespace, a
legally private company), and ESA pays to Arianespace for the launches
like any other customer.
The meteorological business is handled by EUMETSAT (though the satellite
operations are still with ESOC) and the communication satellites are
operated by EUTELSAT (but development of new communication satellite
technology is still done by ESA).

If the situation is the same with NASA, it mey be a cheap shot to
say "they can't make profit out of space" if the people are not PERMITTED
to do so.

Regards, Lutz Massonne

Disclaimer: Neither my company nor ESA is responsible for my opinions

 | Lutz Massonne                     |This mail expresses my personal|
 | Robert-Bosch Str. 5               |opinions only and is in no way |
 | D-6100 Darmstadt, FRG             |official or reliable.          |