[sci.space] orbiting bodies

pete@ctbilbo.UUCP (Pete Ritter) (11/06/90)

My collegues and I have been arguing about something.  We would like
an expert opinion about it.

Does the Moon rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits the Earth?

If a non geo-stationary orbiting body always presents the same face to
the Earth, does it rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

Does a geo-stationary satellite which always presents the same face to
its primary rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

Please email even if you post to the group.  Thanks.

* Pete Ritter    uunet!ctbilbo!pete          |    It tambu tru kaikai buai    *
* Communications Technology Corp. Dallas, Tx |    na spet long makit.         *
* Pete Ritter    uunet!ctbilbo!pete          |    Yu no can kaikai buai na    *
* Communications Technology Corp. Dallas, Tx |    spet long makit.            *

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (11/06/90)

pete@ctbilbo.UUCP (Pete Ritter) writes:

>My collegues and I have been arguing about something.  We would like
>an expert opinion about it.

>Does the Moon rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits the Earth?

>If a non geo-stationary orbiting body always presents the same face to
>the Earth, does it rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

>Does a geo-stationary satellite which always presents the same face to
>its primary rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

In all of these cases, yes.  If the body did not rotate (relative to the
Sun), we would see the entire surface over the course of one revolution.
We don't see the other side because the period of rotation in these cases
is coincident with the period of revolution.

Now, my question:
Are the forces that synchronized the Moon's rotation and revolution the same
forces that have nearly done so with Venus relative to the Sun?
Does this phenomena only happen in a narrow band?
--
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?" -- David Bowie

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (11/06/90)

From article <129@ctbilbo.UUCP>, by pete@ctbilbo.UUCP (Pete Ritter):

> Does the Moon rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits the Earth?

	Yes otherwise the moon (up to libration, nutation, etc.) would
change its face to the earth.

> If a non geo-stationary orbiting body always presents the same face to
> the Earth, does it rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

A spacecraft in orbit without spin appears to rotate as it changes its
position in orbit.  The only way for a spacecraft in <ANY> orbit to
constantly present the same face to you the ground based observer is
to have a spinning. This spinning could get quite complicated if
the orbit is not circular, not geostationary, and you are not at the
center of the earth ;-).

> Does a geo-stationary satellite which always presents the same face to
> its primary rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits?

	Answered above.
Bob
    My opinions are my own no matter	|	Robert W. McGwier, N4HY
    who I work for! ;-)			|	CCR, AMSAT, etc.

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (11/08/90)

On <Nov 05 23:52> Pete Ritter writes:

 PR> Does the Moon rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits the Earth?

Yes, otherwise we'd see all sides of the moon.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

rmartin@clear.com (Bob Martin) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.010422.26534@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) writes:
>pete@ctbilbo.UUCP (Pete Ritter) writes:
>
>Now, my question:
>Are the forces that synchronized the Moon's rotation and revolution the same
>forces that have nearly done so with Venus relative to the Sun?
>Does this phenomena only happen in a narrow band?

The Moon's rotation is locked to its orbital period by the tidal forces
exerted upon it by the Earth.  These tidal forces deform the moon
so that it bulges directly towards (and dirctly away) from the Earth.
If the moon were rotating at a different rate from the orbital period
these bulges would rotate too.  Since the bulge has mass, and would
rotate out of the line connecting the center of the Earth with the
Center of the moon there would be a very slight tug exerted  on the
Lunar bulge by the Earth which would tend to change the Moon's
rotational velocity to be closer to the rate at which it revolves.

This same effect is slowing down the rotation of the Earth and
driving the Moon into higher and higher orbits.  Very slowly of
course.

Venus must also experience tidal forces with the Sun and perhaps
the it is the Sun's tides which have given Venus such a slow
rotational period.  But the story is more complex.  Venus' rotational
period is 243 Earth-days which is _longer_ than its 255 day period of
revolution.  Thus Venus' rotation is retrograde.  There is
circumstatial evidence indicating that Venus is tidaly locked with
the _Earth_.  I turns out that when both planets are on the same side
of the sun, Venus presents approximately the same face towards the
Earth.  So it is possible that the Earth's meager (at that distance)
gravity is in some way responsible for the small Retrograde rotation
of Venus.

Another interesting result of tidal effects is the vulcanism of
IO.  IO is the innermost moon of Jupiter, which would certainly be
tidally locked to the planet if it were not for the influence of the
nearby moons of Ganymede and Europa.  These moons tug on IO and
force it to continue rotating even against Jupiter's tremendous
tides.  This means that the tidal bulge of IO is continually dragged
around causing IO to be alternately stretched and pulled.  This causes
frictional heating which has melted the interior of the moon and causes
it to spew forth its innards in copious volcanic flows.

--
+-Robert C. Martin-----+---------------------------------------------+
| rmartin@clear.com    | My opinions are mine.  They aren't anybody  |

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (11/09/90)

In article <1516.27389CA9@ofa123.fidonet.org>, rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick
Ellis) writes:
|> On <Nov 05 23:52> Pete Ritter writes:
|>
|>  PR> Does the Moon rotate about its axis (or any other) as it orbits the
Earth?

|> Yes, otherwise we'd see all sides of the moon.

So is it common for moons to have the same axial rotational period
as the orbital period, so that only one side is visibilty from the
planet. If it is, what are the reasons for that ?

-ingo
--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

marty@puppsr5.Princeton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.083328@ecn.purdue.edu>, cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
|> So is it common for moons to have the same axial rotational period
|> as the orbital period, so that only one side is visibilty from the
|> planet. If it is, what are the reasons for that ?

Well, a rather technical reference is Alexander, M. E. 1973, "Astrophysics and
Space Science," v. 23, p. 459.  He numerically models close binary systems
and specifically the Earth-Moon system computing the time scales for
synchronization of rotation and circularization of the orbit by tidal forces.

A short and more readable paper is Press, Wiita and Smarr, 1975, "Ap. J.
(Letters)," v. 202, p. L135.  They concentrate on how to get strong viscosities
in close binaries (stars), but give more readable formulae for tidal locking
timescales.  Eventually the Earth's rotation will be slowed to match the
moon's.  Tides dissipate rotational energy.  Anyone with a rough number for
the earth's mean viscosity???
--
Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,

EAO102@psuvm.psu.edu (11/11/90)

     The moons WILL appear to rotate with respect to the sun, or if you are out
side the Earth-Moon system.  But rotation is taken with reference to the satell
ite's primary, so I would have to say no.  Inside the Earth-Moon system, the mo
on doesn't rotate.  The sun should not even be considered in the answer.